Drivers side door won't open

Afubar

This started on March 15 this year. Had to rush to the hospital for a friend, when I left the hospital, I couldn't get the drivers side door to open, remote would lock and unlock the passenger side door, but not the drivers. When I got back to their house, the inside lights wouldn't turn off. Came back out to car about a half hour later, climbed in thru passenger side and drove home (about 1 mile) got home and turned off car, lights inside went off, door still wouldn't open (from inside or outside). Next morning all was fine.

This has happened a couple of times since, door not opening (the light has never sayed on again) but this wouldn't last long, maybe a day tops. Well this Tuesday, I left work, stopped a store, drove car about half a mile, stopped at another store, came out, tried to unlock door and nada. Hasn't opened since.

Any idea. I've tried locking and locking with the remote and the inside button. You can hear the locks cycling but nothing. The key lock has never worked (to much blowing sand in my neck of the woods) I replaced the outside door handle on the drivers side about a year ago.

HELP!! (please remember, I'm an old broad and don't understand alot of tecknical jargon. :willynilly:

sounds like a sticky latch to me. Did you try wd40 in the latch. its almost like it is not unlocking all the way. have you tried moving the lock lever manually? when it doesnt work do the handles feel normal or loose? :mrgreen:

I was having a very similar problem this winter which I think partly had to do with ice, but also a lock problem. I have the opposite problem lockwise: my keylocks work pretty well, but powerlocks are shakey. And I think it was my power locks that were causing the problem. I accidentally locked the door with my remote and then I thought I had unlocked it, but I think the mechanism hadn't made its full travel and slipped back to locked position. It did this a few times over a period of about a month.Wow, that's frustrating! What I finally did was use the key to lock and unlock everytime it did this and I think maybe this eventually freed it up and I haven't had the problem for some months now. I still plan on ripping the door apart soon as I have a number of door issues to correct. Sounds like you might need to do that too. Have you tried to get the keylock working with WD-40 or something? If your powerlock actuator is weak, that could be a problem that your keylock can overcome.

(from a fellow "senior" member)

During the winter mine wouldnt latch and some days I would have to tie the inside handle to the drivers seat until it warmed up enough to unfreeze the latch. Definately hit it with some PB Blaster or WD-40 or something. Maybe even some white lithium grease.

Haven't tried the wd-40. When I go out to a store tomorrow will get some. The key in the door won't work, has never worked, even when I bought the car back in 97. BTW, car is a 94 cutlass supreme convertable, 3.4dohc. Not that it makes much difference. Back when the outside door handle broke, I found if I left the door not closed all the way, I could get a screwdiver in the opening and work the latch open that way(this was after I'd taken the inside cover off the door that hides the workings). Not so in this case. Both handles, inside and out, feel like they would if the door was locked. Not sure how to explain it, but the same as if when you put it in drive and it locks on it's own and you try the handle, just nothing. I've tried locking and unlocking from the inside with both the lock button and the lock slide. I sounds like it's working, but clearly isn't.

Thanks all. Will let you know how the wd-40 works.

During the winter mine wouldnt latch and some days I would have to tie the inside handle to the drivers seat until it warmed up enough to unfreeze the latch.

This was happening to my passenger door at the same time and I was also bungieing the door shut! That was a rough few weeks! :lol:

Back to Afubar: You say your key has never worked? In either side? Is it the wrong key? I really think if you can get that key to work, you'll solve your problem. And if tearing the door down is within your capability, then I don't see the solution to your problem evading you for too long. Best of luck.

I'm not familiar with 'verts, so bear with me. Are they like the other 2-oor W's, with the B-pillar handle, lever/ pull style, because if so, I have had the same problem twice with my Euro, and once with my Z34. This may or may not make sense, but I am positive of the fix given the exact same condition in my car. What's happening is that the handle linkage is adjusted too tightly; (barely start to pull the handle and door pops open.) If there is any tension on the linkage, it binds the lock linkage making the lock only move a little way. Even if you forcefully move it with your hand from the inside, it still won't give because of the door handle linkage maintaining tension. What you have to do (at least in all instances on my cars), GET YOUR DOOR OPEN, lol, and take that little trim cover off of the inside of the of the door pillar, and unclip that rod that is hooked to the external linkage. Grab a pliers and twist the nut/ clip thing clockwise (As looking down at the ground, you'll figure it out), enough so that your handle has some good travel before it actually unlatches the door. You may not like it being pulled out so far to open, especially if you are like me and want the door to open at the touch of the handle, but this will prevent your problem. I hope this helps you, but if not, like i stated before, I am not familiar with Verts. So, good luck.

Thanks all. the key works fine in the passenger door and trunk. Not sure how to tear the door down, at least from the inside. Any ides?

carkhz316 - I'm sure what you're describing is probably the problem. When I first put the new handle on, I thought it to loose, soI tightened it up a bit. Now if only I can get it to open one more time I'll get this licked. Keep fingers crossed that WD40 will work later today.

Thanks guys, you ROCK :high5: