OK I need advice on 5 speed swap or not

hmdznrcld

OK here we go, I found a crate motor for my 91 GTP which is in great shape exterior and interior. I have a 93 SE with a 5 speed. Would the car be more valuable with a 5 speed swap or left as an auto?

I have never attempted this particular swap as I am VERY new to the W-Body world. I do love the fit in those GTP seats!! Bladders everywhere. Now that I have to replace the engine anyway may as well make it a 5 speed right??

I am 60-40 right now on doing it but have my some hesitation on following thru. I am not sure how long after putting the engine in I will actually even keep the car

YOUR THOUGHTS ??

Thanks

If you're not going to keep the car, why go to that much work?

I'd take a gtp/5 speed combo ANY day in my 92. And cry tears of joy. From what I understand though, parts are scarce to do the 5 speed swap on these... so a complete 5 speed gp (Anything) is worth a bit more... And a GTP with AQ9s? hrm.

Make it a 5 speed.. if you're gonna keep it. IMHO.

coming from someone who has been there.... a 5 speed swap is a good deal of work.... to do "correctly' not a weekend project.

Ahh the seats! I love em too :mrgreen: I realize that this would be alot of work and may just force me "wink" to keep the car.

White93, what would you say was the toughest part to do?

for me getting the hydrulic system working sucked, but I had a defective slave cyl, so $300 later i was back in action.

it wasen't too hard persay but tearing apart the entire interior and engine bay kinda sucked

The whole interior has to come out? So maybe a few weeks of work would do the trick?

I am going to check the slave and make sure that puppy is good cause before I consider this.

When I drive the 5 speed I have to completely let of the gas before I can upshift.

do it! You won't regret.

If you replace the firewall plate then yes, it would take a couple weeks, however if you do not, and you don't need to, it should take a weekend, or two tops if you know what you're doing and have a buddy there helping you. If you R&R firewall plate, you need to remove dash, steering column, brake booster etc etc, it's a pain in the ass and totally not worth it IMO when you can modifying your exsiting one to work just fine!

Bake82 I would rather not go to that extent for sure. I want to take the easiest path if I am going to do this.

Are there any write ups or pics that can give me better details? For me it is much easier to follow the path that others have taken rather than diving in and doing things that are unnecessary and wasting time. If anyone has pics of how to modify the the firewall plate it would help.

Thanks