Reducing engine/tranny vibration at idle?

sonick

UPDATE 2: Okay, so did the motor mount today, and it made a WORLD of difference. Vibration at idle is BARELY felt through both the body and the steering wheel/brake pedal.

It was a HUGE pain in the ass though, working through the nasty black slime from the exploded hydraulic mount and trying to wrestle an awkwardly shaped part out of a tight spot, and then trying to get a brand new (and much larger due to non-disintegrated rubber) one into the same spot (didn't help I dumbly removed the strut mount tower caps while still jacked, so the entire front strut dropped out and I had to jack it up to re-install it.)

I lost a nut too, which I think fell into the engine mount bracket and forgot to take out. So right now the bolt on my left dogbone is nut-less; hope it holds up for a week until I get a chance to go to the J/Y and pocket a new one.

All in all, it was the Motor Mount that was the culprit all along; and also the most hassle to swap out.

Update: Okay, so I put in a new tranny mount, as well as new torque strut mounts and the vibration felt from the seats is greatly reduced, however vibration coming from the steering wheel and the brake pedal during idle is still there, and hasn't reduced much.

Should I do the motor mount as well? Or perhaps it's something else? I notice the belt tensioner wiggles up and down when running, is this normal? It may be what's causing some of the vibration

is there any way I can reduce the vibration entering the cabin when I'm in idle, in gear?

I've read it's normal, but comfort-wise I would like it less shaky (coz i hear rattles all over the place in my cabin and it bugs the hell out of me).

Also, I notice that my belt tensioner vibrates up and down, is this normal? or should it stay mostly stationary when the engine is running? Would this reduce some of the vibration?

Thanks!

I have no idea. I got the car from my Dad, and he's not too clear on what was done with the car in the past.

Are those the mounts at the top of the engine on either side of the coolant reservoir? If so, then I don't think they've ever been changed.

I have no idea. I got the car from my Dad, and he's not too clear on what was done with the car in the past.

Are those the mounts at the top of the engine on either side of the coolant reservoir? If so, then I don't think they've ever been changed.

What car do you have exactly?

well considering the year, wear and tear i wouldnt be surprised if things were heard lol. i try to make my car quiet but i just figure it is an old car

yeah change them mounts... i have a poly trany mount and poly dog bone (upper mount) on my Z with them being that solid it should shake like crazy but even at idle it is smooth..... but i a tribute some of it to my tuning of the PCM

yeah change them mounts... i have a poly trany mount and poly dog bone (upper mount) on my Z with them being that solid it should shake like crazy but even at idle it is smooth..... but i a tribute some of it to my tuning of the PCM

Which mounts would be must suspect in the vibration? The Torque Strut mounts at the top/front of engine or the Engine mounts? Or another mount elsewhere?

• 2 weeks later...

Updated, see first post!

I'm having a similar (though slight) problem with vibration coming from the steering wheel and brake pedal while idling in gear, so I'd also love a solution.

Updated, see first post!

I'm having a similar (though slight) problem with vibration coming from the steering wheel and brake pedal while idling in gear, so I'd also love a solution.

Does your belt tensioner wiggle up and down when your engine is going? It does for mine and its on my list as the next thing to look into replacing in terms of fixing the idle vibration.

Updated, see first post!

Does your belt tensioner wiggle up and down when your engine is going? It does for mine and its on my list as the next thing to look into replacing in terms of fixing the idle vibration.

Hmm. I'll have a look next time the car does it...