1995 GTP heater core

1tinindian

When I bought this car, the owner told me that the heater core was leaking and would have to be changed.

So I get ready to change it out, and upon taking the cover off of the heater core, I was expecting to see the telltale wet spots and/or leaks, but it was dry!!!!

It had alot of dust on it, but nothing wet, so I start the car and get the water circulating, and the heat is really coming out of it, yet no leaks, everything is dry.

I rev the engine a few times to force the water through it faster, and still nothing.

So now, I'm at a lose.

The floor is dry, heater core is dry, I smell NO anti-freeze and I'm getting good heat!!!

I know its a PITA to remove the hoses in the engine compartment, so I'm tempted to just put everthing back together and leave it as is.

Any comments of suggestions would be welcome.

Leon

Is there an oily film on the windshield? If so it does leak, if not put it back together and come to the realization that the previous owner was a crack head.

When mine went (yes, its a royal PITA!!) there was a film forming on the bottom of the window, I could smell coolant, and the carpet was noticeably wet.

Jamie

On my Z24 when it went, me and my friend were on our way to work and next thing you know a fog of antifreeze filled the entire car from the defroster vents, and the temp guages pegged all the way up immideately. but nothing got on the floor because the cover was still intact. I've never done one a w-body yet but the J's with 3.1's are a bitch too, the only way to get to the lines is jacking uo the car and sliding underneath then they're on the bottom of the firewall. I'd imagine they're a PITA on a 3.4 W. I think I'll replace the one in my International while the motor is out the way it sounds. On the J's the factory heater cores they had plasctic inlet and outlet pipes, the replacement form Napa had crimped aluminum ones. Do the W's also use plastic inlets and outlets?