please help me get the caliper off!

no1kicker

My rear caliper is frozen up and it's on there good! Is there an easy way to get it off? I've tried taking the two bolts off and hitting it but to no avail.

Also, my wheels seem to be weighted towards the outside of the car. I was like WTF cause the crosslaces on my TGP are perfectly balanced. But all my wheels are this way so maybe it's just the rim design.

Use a 1/2" DRIVE RATCHET and use a long extension bar like a thick pipe for leverage or try using a lug nut wrench as a leverage.

Do that. Also, I've found that brake fluid acts as a good rust eater/ better than wd-40. Put a little on the bolts and let it set for a few minutes.

Guest Anonymous

I think he has the bolts out. He's trying to get the caliper off the rotor. Get a big screwdriver and pry with one hand while hitting the caliper with a hammer.

Saying you've tried removing the bolts, I'm assuming they're still on. If so, get a propane torch and apply heat to one. (Obviously, watch out for the rubber or plastic parts) Give it a few raps with a hammer before it cools and try loosening. Don't pry enough to break anything, just re-heat, whack it with a hammer, and try again. Eventually, they should snap free.

If the caliper is seized to the rotor, chances are a c-clamp wouldn't help you, so prying the caliper would be your only hope. Going as far as a wrecking bar would be your best hope, but be careful with the brake line. You'll just have to get the rotors turned at a shop before putting new calipers on.

I think he has the bolts out. He's trying to get the caliper off the rotor. Get a big screwdriver and pry with one hand while hitting the caliper with a hammer.

If that is the case, do what he described. It works, believe me on that.

yeah I got the two bolts off, but the caliper is stuck on there like an aluminum wing on a civic. I will try the prying and banging at the same time, as well as using some brake fluid. Got to get the car rolling so I can put on the new rims! :D

Not saying you're retarded but another member had similar problem but he had his e-brake on, you don't do you?? I really hope not. Try prying between the caliper and rotor it worked for me.

well, my ebrake has never worked since I've owned the car. The cable is hanging below the car and I haven't tried to fix it yet. Is it possible somehow the ebrake could be involved, it's the drivers rear one that's stuck. Please excuse me if I am being an idiot, I've never really worked on the brakes before, and so far the PM3 is kicking my ass! :evil:

ok you have to have 2 people for this but put your lug nuts back on so the rotor does not move around on you get a 2 foot pry bar break over bar or some thing that will fit between the rotor and the caliper and have one person pry on it and have the other hit the caliper not to hard but not soft

but if the caliper is junk abd you are going to replace it whack the pita out of it and it sould come off

oh the reason i say 2 people is cause one can use both hands to get good leverage to pry

hope this helps

and good luck!

I finally got the caliper off this morning. It took lots of wd40 and banging. I also drained the brake fluid out of the caliper (should have done this much sooner) and just hit it outwards.

Thanks to all who replied and helped me out!

:D