Problems with fuel gage

Draakon

I'm having a very stupid problem with my car - fuel gauge isn't working properly. Car is 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with base cluster (I undesrstand that in the beginning of making this block it had problems, so no upgrades were made then, this base cluster is #%%#). Because of that I have 2 questions:

1) Is the fuel gauge operating in 0 Ohms (E) to 90 ohms (F) range like most old cars. I found that Lumina's gauge worked that way + all cars to 1997(?) + base cluster should diagram showed it works in this range. I ask because I bought a new fuel gage (# 3314 Auto Meter, range 0-90 Ohms http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2775&sid=15). Put new wires, ground wire is wider than others, all connections are good, disconnected the fuel gage wire from base cluster, so it goes straight to new gauge, because I read that 2 gauges can't work together, it's impossible. And it still reads erraticallywith new gauge.

2) where is the ground connection(s) for fuel sender unit - one diagram showed 2 ground wires to fuel sender unit-one for pump, other for fuel gage, so I'd like to check and clean them aboth s well as a connector to a sender unit itself before buying new sender unit (if it's needed).

Came out pretty long post, thanks for any help. There aren't many Oldsmobiles where I live. usaraud.ee shows only 23 Oldsmobiles and all Cutlasses are from different years ... :)

sounds like it is probably a bad sending unit. It works by the more power that goes through the wire the less gas on the gauge and the less power the more gas on the gauge if that makes any sense

sounds like it is probably a bad sending unit. It works by the more power that goes through the wire the less gas on the gauge and the less power the more gas on the gauge if that makes any sense

0-90 Ohms then? Then naw gauge is correct. ok, I buy a new unit, it's just weird that it failed. Thanks anyway.

I can't answer your question, but if you wanted to upgrade, the 1992+ analog cluster is a direct plug and play with yours. Really easy to do. If not, I have my old base cluster with 120k miles on it. I'll give it to you for shipping costs only! :high5: Worked fine