Help me diagnose the cutlass!!! UPDATE: fixed?

Psych0matt

Ok, so on my drive back to Michigan a few weeks ago, the cutlass started sporadically jumping the tach around while driving, speedo jumping around, and stalling occasionally. Never seemed to be an engine problem, but something electronic, or related. I changed the VSS, and although that seemed to fix it for a few days, I think it was just a coincidence. I tightened the VSS saturday, thinking it may have just been loose, and took her out tonight for the first time since, and it seems to be worse. It's fine when going slower mostly, but usually gets screwy above 55 or so, although on my way home, the tach went blank and then I got a battery light (engine stalled). Started her back up just fine, continue to drive the half mile home with the engine purring like a kitten. I know that my ac compressor is noisy and that both wheel bearings are needing changed, but aside from that everything seems normal. When I first started her up and drove out of the subdivision, no signs of any problems, but once I get going it just seems like whatever is screwing up just keeps affecting everything else (hence the stalling, because the tach goes blank). it'll occasionally drop out of gear as well, revving up out of gear, basically as if it's been thrown into limp mode (shifts completely fine and normal if not doing this)

Help?

Computer is fuxored. My 93' did the EXACT same thing and it drove me insane trying to figure it out... when I took it to someone I trusted they tapped the computer while it was running and the car started to run like shit at that moment.

hmmm, that was one of the first things I suspected, but everyone else was saying it was something else, namely the VSS. It obviously is not :lol: I do eventually need to do the crank sensor too, but that would cause different problems. Anyone have a '94/'95 LQ1 computer?

double check the AUX post first, you should.

was nice and tight, and why would it do anything like that? the car has been charging and starting better since I took the battery out and put her back in all nice and tight

Yes, I do have a computer sitting here.

how much would ya want? I can get a JY one, but heck, i know you'd probably give me a better deal anyways.

was nice and tight, and why would it do anything like that? the car has been charging and starting better since I took the battery out and put her back in all nice and tight

I dunno, I always hear about all sorts of screw electrical problems because of them being loose. Was worth a shot :shrug:

My 94 did that when the battery was going bad but it's not very common at all, batteries usually just crap out, mine had the same symptoms but then crapped out 2 days and a couple hundred miles later. It's probably not your battery, but mine did act all funky and I couldn't figure it out because it always started right back up, but one day it did the same thing and never started back up, replaced the battery, and it was ok.

Well, I threw one in today, and it seems to have fixed my problem. I only really drove it a few miles (got her up to 75ish on the freeway for about a mile til the next exit) and then later to pick up pizza, but no signs of any more problems. I'll take her to work tomorrow, so that'll hopefully tell me if it really fixed it or not.

I dunno, I always hear about all sorts of screw electrical problems because of them being loose. Was worth a shot :shrug:

It's not so much that the AUX Post is loose...it's that the ground is corroded!!! Also, pull your alt and take it to get tested. G/L Matt...I hope it's not the computer...

It's not so much that the AUX Post is loose...it's that the ground is corroded!!! Also, pull your alt and take it to get tested. G/L Matt...I hope it's not the computer...

Sure, but a lot of times people have reported that the nut holding down the cable is physically loose.

meh, swapped the computer over and it seemed to fix all my problems. I'll be driving her mostly again, hopefully having some time to dig into the TGP a bit or something.

G/L Matt...I hope it's not the computer...

Why, that's the easiest fix? :dunno:

glad the new computer fixed it. have you driven it alot since you swapped it in? no notice of any of the old problems? hopefully not. congrats.

I drove it sunday a few miles, and yesterday to work and back, no signs of any problems at all computer related at least, the other problems are still there :lol:

Yeah, swapping the computer didn't fix my wheel bearings! :cussing:

meh, swapped the computer over and it seemed to fix all my problems. I'll be driving her mostly again, hopefully having some time to dig into the TGP a bit or something.

Computer is fuxored. My 93' did the EXACT same thing and it drove me insane trying to figure it out... when I took it to someone I trusted they tapped the computer while it was running and the car started to run like shit at that moment.

WINNAR!!!! I GET ICECREAM!!! :lol:

• 3 years later...
Sure, but a lot of times people have reported that the nut holding down the cable is physically loose.

Similar electrical problems and yes I could wiggle the auxiliary cable so I scraped the mounting surfaces and tightened everything up..we will see if thats the problem and I'm also replacing the serpentine belt tensioner soon.