GP Digital Cluster?

Drummer

Ok I got a Digital cluster for my GP and my cluster doesn't light up when headlights are off. What would be the best way to fix the cluster? Wire it so it does light up or get the 88-89 head light and washer switches? Would i have to cut wires to make that work or is it all just plugging in? Thanks.

They are pretty cool, especially at night, but be warned... the fuel bar graph is always grossly inaccurate and the dummy lights tend to stay on as per the archaic electronics.

If i were to change the cluster to digital what wouldn't work right? I don't think the 88-90 have the fog light switch although i could be wrong. My temp. light is on most of the time, and it really annoys me.

You have to get a headlight pod from an SE or such that is highly-optioned. Those have the foglights and should have the "bonus" security lighting feature as well.

Everything will work, except the Check Guages and Low Fuel output in the HUD... the digital cluster does not have the provisions for these.

They are pretty cool, especially at night, but be warned... the fuel bar graph is always grossly inaccurate and the dummy lights tend to stay on as per the archaic electronics.

Thats not entirely true.. the digi cluster on my GP doesn't have any dummy lights and works perfectly fine.. The fuel gauge was really accurate until the fuel tank was replaced on the car (internal baffling in replacement tank is different from original, making the sending unit read differently).

I have had several digital clusters, and all the fuel gauges have fluctuated by as much as a 1/4 tank ( which wasn't the case with the analog) and I understand others have had the same trouble. Also, the dummy light problems, much like the analog clusters, are notorious for these. Specifically, the temp light goes bad on most of them. Be prepared that these are 19-20 year old electronics, and they might be fickle.

What makes the lights come on? 2 of my lights do that. is there any way to fix it besides pulling the light out? :lol:

You will need to resolder the back of your gauge cluster. There is a writeup on how to do so on the W-body.com site. Not the forum, just the regular site.

Its the same procedure ( I think) but thats for the analog check guages/low fuel light. You just have to make sure you would be soldering the correct thing on the digital cluster.

are canadian digital clusters different from US digital clusters, cause i know my display won't work when my car is on, it only works when i have my lights on.

If you use the 88-89 headlight pod, you can switch between imperial and metric units on the digital part. The engine/oil guages will always be in metric, though.