Battery Tray Replacement

Addicted To Boost

I need to replace the battery tray on my GP.. it looks to be welded in there. Can I replace it? Where can I get a new tray?

Thanks

Probably going to have to go custom with it or cut one out from a donor car and have it welded in. I will eventually need to do this on my red TGP as it is rusty and has one small hole in it at the moment(looks like a previous battery leaked badly or exploded as some paint near that area is flaked off as well).

How bad is it? Might be best just to cut out the bad parts and have a body shop weld in a new piece of sheet metal over it. Just try avoiding cutting into the frame rail underneath it.

Or remove it entirely and relocate the battery to the trunk in a battery box.

It is getting very bad. There is one hole that I can almost put my fist through and a couple smaller holes.. much of it is paper thin and I can't see the current one lasting much longer. I think a previous battery that was once in the car may have leaked acid everywhere and rotted the tray, because there is no rust anywhere else on the car.

Does GM sell new trays?

never hurts to call the dealership..

but how often does GM carry ANYTHING for these cars?

It seems a battery tray would be fairly easy to fab and weld in... but I'd relocate to the trunk if I was having to mess with it... i want to change my air intake anyhow. LOL

The GP parts catalogue scans say this:

"Tray, Battery-Serviced with Rail Extension"

Rail extension being the frame rail section that the front bumper mounts to on either side. They list a part number of 10221064 for '88-'93 Left side. This is something you would need cut and welded and it's a chunk of the frame rail. Prolly not cheap, if you can even find it.

Look for a rust/corrosion specialty shop in your area, if you have one. Prolly not to common, I dunno, but a local one was able to take care of some rust on my subframe when I had it out. They'll just cut it out and weld a new solid plate in, it's prolly your best bet.

the 97-03 Grand Prix have a removable tray... same shape IIRC can always get one from the junk yard and then either fab up a bracket or find someone to weld it in.

How in the hell do you have so much rust under there that you can almost push your first through it?

Like I said, a battery probably leaked out at one time years ago, and now there is a hole in the tray almost big enough to put my fist through it :lol: There really isn't any rust there, just a few holes.. and the really big hole :willynilly:

Like I said, a battery probably leaked out at one time years ago, and now there is a hole in the tray almost big enough to put my fist through it :lol: There really isn't any rust there, just a few holes.. and the really big hole :willynilly:

That's exactly why. My Red TGP has been in the South all it's life and the only rust it has is a bit on the a battery tray area. I can maybe fit a finger or two in the hole that's formed so far. That metal is pretty thin there, so it probably doesn't take a long time for it to rot through once battery acid gets on it.