Rear window/rear wing brake light - Update Pics Added 05/24

xtremerevolution

I need to connect the brake light on my rear wing. I previously had a rear window brake light connected, although at some point, it shorted with the ground somewhere (hell if I know where), and in the process, I had absolutely no brake light anywhere, so nobody would know when I'd be turning or stopping. It took a mechanic 2+ hours to figure it out, and his solution was to disconnect the rear window brake light. So I decided to have that done instead of paying him to run me a new wire.

So now, 2 years later, I want to connect my rear wing brake light. The problem is, I have no clue where to run the wire from. I'm under the impression its somewhere under the right dash, but I really wouldn't know for sure. Could someone point me in the right direction?

So are you saying you have no wire for your old 3rd brake light? My suggestion would be to track it down, find the short and go around the short and route it through your trunk.

I would just tap into the exsisting wiring for the taillights and run a wire up to the trunk.

Yeah but then the lights will light up every time I have the turn signal on won't they? Or does the trunk have separate wires for the turn signal and the brakes?

In order to trace that 3rd brake light, would I have to pull up the carpet? The guy said I might have pinched the wire somewhere when I put in my racing seats.

Then again, same said technician left a small light bulb burn on my driver leatherette racing seat.

I'll try tracing that wire to see where it goes. I vaguely recall that he might have disconnected the wire from the dash area so that it doesn't short out and blow the fuse every time I press the brake pedal. I'll check it out tonight.

Your regular tails will have 3 wires. One is a constant, one is for brakes, and the other is a negative. I'm not sure which color wire is which, but if you have a Haynes manual, thee is usually wiring diagrams in the back. You want to tap into the negative and the brake light wire, if you tap into the wrong one your light will be on at all times.

Jamie

Your regular tails will have 3 wires. One is a constant, one is for brakes, and the other is a negative. I'm not sure which color wire is which, but if you have a Haynes manual, thee is usually wiring diagrams in the back. You want to tap into the negative and the brake light wire, if you tap into the wrong one your light will be on at all times.

Jamie

The same light lights are used for both the turn signals and the brakes. You sure my 3rd brake light isn't going to be flashing when I use my turn signal?

I think your signal would be an additional wire going to the bulb. What color wires do you have on each side?

Jamie

I'll let you know when I can get to my car, since I'm posting from work right now, unless someone else would like to chime in with an answer.

gtp monkey is incorrect. the turn signal and brake are on the same wire, and the left and right side have a different wire going to the front.

you will need to locate the third brake light wire in a location in the car, and a good location to find it is in the mess of wires that hide behind and beneath the carpet on the passenger front area. the wire color is light blue, but there may be more than one light blue wire, one of the rear speakers uses a wire of the same color.

here's what I would do. TURN OFF THE RADIO. You do not want to risk damaging it by probing the speaker wire with the radio on. probe each light blue wire to see it is has power with only the brake pressed. seal up the punctures in the wires you made with silicone, electric tape or whatever, and splice into the wires here and run the new wire to the rear and put it beneath the carpet.

if this does not work, maybe your guy cut the wire before this? you may have to see if you can find the light blue wire in the steering column harness then,

gtp monkey is incorrect. the turn signal and brake are on the same wire, and the left and right side have a different wire going to the front.

you will need to locate the third brake light wire in a location in the car, and a good location to find it is in the mess of wires that hide behind and beneath the carpet on the passenger front area. the wire color is light blue, but there may be more than one light blue wire, one of the rear speakers uses a wire of the same color.

here's what I would do. TURN OFF THE RADIO. You do not want to risk damaging it by probing the speaker wire with the radio on. probe each light blue wire to see it is has power with only the brake pressed. seal up the punctures in the wires you made with silicone, electric tape or whatever, and splice into the wires here and run the new wire to the rear and put it beneath the carpet.

if this does not work, maybe your guy cut the wire before this? you may have to see if you can find the light blue wire in the steering column harness then,

Alright, sounds good. I shouldn't have problems with the radio since I have an aftermarket radio and my speakers run off amps. I've just been cutting up the existing wires to get them out of the way since I'll never use them.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check the fuse too while I'm at it. :high5:

Yeah, all I had to go by was the GP, I do have a different wire for signal and brake lights... I tried!

Jamie

And I appreciate the help you've offered as well. :biggrin:

Yeah, all I had to go by was the GP, I do have a different wire for signal and brake lights... I tried!

Jamie

LOL YOu are correct on the gp at least! :razz:

Alright, its all done.

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

Turns out it wasn't the light blue wire. The light blue one connects to another socket at the back of the trunk that turns into a white wire. I discovered this after testing all the light blue wires down there (I had found 4). When i went back down, I saw a white wire that had been cut. Sure enough, that was the wire I needed to use. So I just hooked that up, and everything's working perfectly.

:biggrin:

:high5:

Nice job. Sorry for misleading you on the taping in on the tail lights. I didnt know they were differenent then some of the GP ive worked on before.