HUD and DIC

Sidewinder

I was thinking after reading a few threads around here, would it be difficult to install a HUD and DIC into a Lumina? I already know where I am going to mount the DIC, the question is, would any of it work? What year GP should I get them from?

I dont have time to write it all up right now, but The Faqs has a great topic about all the different huds w/pinouts. Just as simple as wiring the thing in and go.

Everything you need should be in that section. But what year car do you have? I think that would determine what kind you need (OBD1 vs OBD 1.5).

BAH... I thought it posted my signature, not sure why it isn't working. Anyway I have a 1996 Lumina, I am planning on getting a 1997 PCM to tune with if that changes anything. I'll have a look at the FAQ section and see what I come up with.

I have a 96 GP DIC for sale. Works with OBD 2... kinda local too.

Actually I may get that off you then, I need to make a trip down that way anyway at some point soon. I'll let you know about that, I'm in Barrie by the way.

I already know exactly where its going to be mounted though. Either in the cubby to the left for passports and other junk that I never use, or I'm going to fiberglass a mount on the center console where cds are supposed to go (which I will also never use).

I have a 96 GP DIC for sale. Works with OBD 2... kinda local too.

Actually I may get that off you then, I need to make a trip down that way anyway at some point soon. I'll let you know about that, I'm in Barrie by the way.

I already know exactly where its going to be mounted though. Either in the cubby to the left for passports and other junk that I never use, or I'm going to fiberglass a mount on the center console where cds are supposed to go (which I will also never use).

OBD-II is irrelevant for the HUD. The speedo is only looking for PPM, not raw data. Even if it was OBD-II, I'm certain that features such as the Check Gauges light, fuel indicator, etc wouldn't work anyway.

Well, I went to the junkyard today (which proved to be a pretty useless adventure) to look for a cutlass washer fluid bottle so I could finish my fender well intake. Apparently they are all out of them :rolleyes:

I walked around though looking for some other stuff, had a few interesting finds while I wandered around. This was the first time I've seen a complete L67 sitting out in their yard (and it was just the one), they either remove them all or someone rapes them. I also found a large port 3100 in a '00 grand prix that I really wanted to grab the top end off of, but I decided I should probably save my money.

The last thing I found was a 97 grand prix with the DIC and a HUD all intact. The only reason I didn't grab any of it is because I wasn't sure if it would work in my car. As stated above I'm guessing that the HUD will work regardless, but will the DIC and switches work on my car? If so I'll have to make a trip back and pull that stuff.

Getting the 97+ DIC to work in a lumina would be really hard... there is some extra wiring involved that neither that or the 94-6 GP's have (such as door monitor stuff). You could wire it in if you dismantled the car and traced all the wires, but trust me, its a PITA.

Alright I'll stick with the '96 DIC, but the HUD should be ok correct? If so I can get going on this project. I'm going to pull the HUD and the Dash piece out of a grand prix and do some fiberglass work to mount it. I have a Monte Carlo parts car sitting out in a field that I'm going to use to test fit everything and make sure it works, then I can mount everything into the Lumina.

Alright I'll stick with the '96 DIC, but the HUD should be ok correct? If so I can get going on this project. I'm going to pull the HUD and the Dash piece out of a grand prix and do some fiberglass work to mount it. I have a Monte Carlo parts car sitting out in a field that I'm going to use to test fit everything and make sure it works, then I can mount everything into the Lumina.

HUD wil work just fine and dandy....as long as it is from a gp from 94-03, you will be okay.....

One last question, the dash cover with the hole that goes over the HUD, can that be removed separately from the dash? That should make removing the HUD much easier.