93 Grand Prix... no backup lights

aaron7

The Park/Neutral Safety Switch tells those lights when the car is in reverse. That maybe the problem. Does the car start in both park and neutral?

If you take the airbox off and look on top of the transmission there is a black piece that looks like a 1/4 of a circle with a cable running up to the throttle body. Held on by 2 bolts. That is the switch.

LE, 3.1, power windows and locks, AC, fog lights... that's really it! haha

Just ordered a new backup light switch... $9 from Rockauto. We'll see if that's the problem!

Okay, it probably is the Park/Neutral Switch then. On the higher model cars, the signals for the lights go through the Driver Information Center box before going to the actual lights, but an LE won't have that.

Check the fuse for your power trunk release, it is in the fusebox on the passenger side in the engine bay. If that fuse is blown, you won't have any reverse lights and your trunk release won't work either.

My TGP has intermitent reverse lights. If I am in drive, and go into reverse, the lights wont turn on. But if I go just a tid bit further, not to park, just kinda inbetween reverse and park. the lights will come on. And I can slide it back into reverse and the lights stay on. See if this works for you after checking your fuse. Another telltale is that you cant start the car in Neutral. I need to adjust, or replace my Neutral Safety Switch.

• 2 years later...
I think mike hutton is a clever spambot. All 3 of his (its?) posts have had links to thepartsbin and have been necrobumps. BAN HIM!

Took care of the spambot. I'm surprised it hadn't racked up more posts.