many holes in airbox

godofthunder

Ok, well, remember when we were all talking about airboxes earlier? well, instead of cutting out the large holes on the side, I drilled a ton of 1/4" holes, a little over 1/2" appart. I did this alongside the side facing the battery, front to back. so its about 40-50 holes....cant remember

I like. While I was expecting a little more, I have been using a K&N for a while. But, I did see the following

* b/t 2k and 5k+, DEEP tone, quite loud too (exhaust and intake)

* quicker accel through the entire RPM range, much quicker actually

* Some more top end power...but not a ton.

* Got a few heads turrning as I drove by

Also, I noticed a little bit more "pull" when hard accel. And, from just having the trans work done, its still shifts perfectly!

Ill have some pics in a while

Jon

Yeah, for not having to pay anything, it works great! I did the same to the ragtop last year. It's almost as nice a sound as a Quadrajet on an old 327 wrapping on up! Gets up nicely in the mid-range , I agree.

I love the way these motors rev!

Yes. Stock airbox. To the botom portion, below the filter.

Many guys here just cut huge holes in them (like 2" by 3"). I was going to do it (and have one here...if anyone wants a spare)...but decided to try something different.

While its prob. not as drastic as a cone filter setup, its cheaper...and i guess also uses some of the plasic, espc. on the opp. side, as a heat sheild. These holes actally should be gettin a lot of air, right through the fenders (and the front)

jon

Isn't this over kill with many bullet holes (j/k). Rather than mutilating an air box that you might sell with the car to some conservative type later, why not just take out the removable front cone section ? You will have a huge opening which will definately flow plenty for a N0HC AND DOHC.

You will have cooler air, the sound increase will be noticable. You can cut the top of the cone section inside the box to allow more possible flow area across the filter and will let more sound out (that section is there to reduce decibles). Drop in a K&N and you will flow as much as you'll ever need.

um...well, one...no real plans to sell the cutlass...ANY time soon. I wanted a w-body since i was 12. no kidding. And, i just payed off the small loan on it ($1000)...and if i wanted another car...ive got the money now to go get it.

And...i also have a spare one i got from the yard recently.

I just didnt feel like spending money on a cone setup. I may one day, but this is great.

I strapped a cone on the end of the hose, moved the air sensor off 2 the side and put tin foil over the side where the exhaust is (ghetto heat shield). i dont care about the noise, dont care about the riceyness of it, but at 2500-4800 rpms, ive got more power.

-Jeff

the only thing about the stock airbox i have here still...well, was the begining of cutting out the side, like everyone else did. but since I have a gay rotary tool, it didnt even cut through.

I can still send ya it if you want....what do you think is fair? I paid $8 from the yard

jon

well how about i trade you straight up for an electric pencil sharpener? :D im just kidding, ill talk to my dad since hes the one who wants the stock airbox for it, i like my K&N, ill get back to you

hah! actually..i need to get me an electric pencil sharpener. Yeh, get back to me

I just had my brother comment on the sound, outside the vehicle. While I could only get up to like 25 in the neigboorhood (and arround 2500 RPM), he said it sounded much throatier, nicer tone, little louder. And driving it again today, I really just notice quicker accel, and more power in that accel. But...it actually shifts earlier than it used to

jon