mediabandit

So i have 2 extra front bucket seats from the Z34 parts car i dismantled. http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=63616.0

i was wondering if anyone has swapped these seats into the rear of their Z34? if so i would greatly appreciate pics of the custom brackets that were needed and any other little tip and/or tricks you have come up with. thanks.

You would probably have to make bolt holes to mount the seats and they would be way too tall with front buckets in the rear. The rear seats are held in by 2 bolts for the bottoms and two hooks and a 2 bolts for the backs.

So i have 2 extra front bucket seats from the Z34 parts car i dismantled. http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=63616.0

i was wondering if anyone has swapped these seats into the rear of their Z34? if so i would greatly appreciate pics of the custom brackets that were needed and any other little tip and/or tricks you have come up with. thanks.

I tried this. I used Gorilla glue, lol, because I was too lazy to drop the gas tank, drill the holes, and bolt them through myself.

Dropping the gas tank and drilling holes for bolts is the only way to mount the center console brackets aside from an insanely powerful glue. Here's how I held them down:

IMG_0033.jpg

Worked pretty well, but if you bump them hard with your elbow, they will snap off. I needed a hammer to get that one off when I took the seats out, so I know it worked. If you glue them, make sure you sand them extremely well.

JB Weld, those things will not come out.

Take measurements first, I bet the head rests would be damn near to the ceiling...

Why not just find yourself a set of actual rear buckets??

Jamie

Take measurements first, I bet the head rests would be damn near to the ceiling...

Jamie

I tried to glue my hood vents on with JB Weld, and one of them started falling off after 3 months. :evil:

So I don't mess with JB Weld anymore.

i may give the gorilla glue or jb weld a try then.

Run some tests first on another identical sheet of metal, or somewhere else, seriously. And I can't stress enough how important it is to sand those brackets down extremely well.

never really though of that... i will have to try one in there first to see how it will be height wise. maybe have to take the headrests off.

as far as finding a set of rear buckets.... the problem is that all of our junkyards around here are not u-pull, so when you go to buy stuff they already have it off the car and on a shelf, or they will go pull it themselves. hence the pricing is way higher then it should be. and i though about buying them from a member on here, but then it is the shipping that kills you.

if these do not work, then i will just wait until i can find a set for a reasonable price. i just though these would look better then the bench seat, plus it would get them out of my garage. so no big deal if they do not work, i can wait.

Jamie

i may give the gorilla glue or jb weld a try then.

Run some tests first on another identical sheet of metal, or somewhere else, seriously. And I can't stress enough how important it is to sand those brackets down extremely well.

i may do it the right way. i do have to replace the tank and sending unit eventually, so i may just hold off until then. if the gorilla glue or jb weld don't work as well as i would like them to. thanks for the tips though. good idea.

How about finding a pair of bad rear buckets from a GP or CS and taking off the skins from the Lumina seats and put them on the bucket frames, might have to build up the foam but it should work.

How about finding a pair of bad rear buckets from a GP or CS and taking off the skins from the Lumina seats and put them on the bucket frames, might have to build up the foam but it should work.

if i could find a set cheap i would definetly do that. good idea.

quad seats in a Z34 would be cool -

What you'd probably have to do is remove the seat track assembly and fab a bracket similar to the way the GP, CS, or Regal were done by the factory.

The stock rear buckets in those other models mounted to the floor.

Maybe you can get ahold of a set of rear buckets that aren't in great shape to scavenge the bottom seat pan and adapt the Z34 buckets onto that?

When I was looking to buy a GTP back in the day, I wanted the quad seat config, but the price of the Z34 won out on my buying decision in the end.

quad seats in a Z34 would be cool -

What you'd probably have to do is remove the seat track assembly and fab a bracket similar to the way the GP, CS, or Regal were done by the factory.

The stock rear buckets in those other models mounted to the floor.

Maybe you can get ahold of a set of rear buckets that aren't in great shape to scavenge the bottom seat pan and adapt the Z34 buckets onto that?

When I was looking to buy a GTP back in the day, I wanted the quad seat config, but the price of the Z34 won out on my buying decision in the end.

Wait, so on a lumina the rear seats don't have two bolts (one on each side) in the front of the seats? The bottoms on my regal don't mount to the floor. I never knew the lumina had any different of an interior...

Digitaloutsider once told me that there was once an attempt to mount the AQ9's in the back with a DIC console as well. I don't know if that ever materialized, but you could inquire with him.

well i am gonna pull the backseat and test fit the buckets on my next day off. i will take some pics and let you guys know if it will work oe not. thanks for all the tips.