Guest RedCutlassSL

Guest RedCutlassSL

Ok, when I start my car, all the dummy lights stay off. Once the car moves, the ABS and brakes lights come on. The fluid is full. Anybody have an ideas why this is happening? What can I check? Need help ASAP

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't all for wheels have sensor to detect wheel speed for ABS?

If so, sounds like one is malfunctioning due to perhaps one is not sending a signal.

- Erik

I get that too, only accompanied by a sometimes extremely stiff brake pedal, so I jes unplugged my fuse for now... until I get the whole thing checked out...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't all for wheels have sensor to detect wheel speed for ABS?

If so, sounds like one is malfunctioning due to perhaps one is not sending a signal.

:withstupid:

Only way I can think of to test it is to:

1) Get pinouts for the ABS connector and locate all the wires that go to ABS sensors.

2) Disconnect ABS connector and connect leads of a multimeter set on AC millivolts to the 2 leads that go to an ABS sensor.

3) Drive the car with the multimeter connected. A correctly functioning sensor will read some small AC voltage.

4) Repeat steps 2 & 3 for the other 3 sensors. The one with the unusually low reading is likely to be the bad one.

It's a lot of work, but that's the only way I can think of to test them.

The easier way would be to take it to a dealer, he can read the codes and they will tell you exactly which sensor is bad. You have ABS VI and I'm pretty sure it can't blink out codes, so the dealer is the only one that will have the equipment to read them.

You can just unplug the sensor and hook an AC meter directly to it. Spin the wheel and you should see a voltage. Since the voltage is so small it's actually easier to keep the meter on DC and watch it go +/- That's how we test them. If it's doing anything it's good for the most part. If the tone wheel has missing teeth or is really cruddy clean off the sensor and the wheel. If all is clean and there is a voltage on the sensor. You should be in good shape.