HID Headlights?

MiaNoir

I've recently been looking at HIDs for my car but I can't decide on what and how. With so many kits and companies and options and such it gets confusing. Does anyone here know anything about the or what kits seem to work well while others fail?

I found this kit

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/product_info.php?products_id=145{48}246{50}441{65}294

It's the cheapest but I'm afraid that I'll get what I pay for.

My low beam bulbs are H11 and I'm looking for a crisp white beam color.

I would never add HID to an older low end car. Yes its cheap and can be done easily but it would be a police magnet imho. Anywasy if you do do it get 4300K up to 6000K bulbs. 4300 will look almost normal and 6000k will be purplish but anything over that will be blue and will not look normal. I have done the conversion on many cars so if you have any questions hit me up.

do you have any night pics that show the cutoff?

They will be no cutoff in those housings. Just glare everywhere but as long as they are aimed low should not be a problem for oncoming traffic.

They will be no cutoff in those housings. Just glare everywhere but as long as they are aimed low should not be a problem for oncoming traffic.

I painted the bottom of my reflective surface inside the headlight black so the light won't bounce up into peoples' eyes as much, and I noticed it did make a very big difference in reducing the blinding factor for oncoming traffic.

I'm using an 8000k conversion kit and I haven't had a single problem with cops here in Chicago.

Please read this article before you consider HIDs for your car:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

I read it and would have to disagree. As previously mentioned, I blacked out the bottom of my headlight reflectors so I don't blind oncoming traffic. However, I can still see very well at a far distance, and MUCH better than I could with the halogens. I tested one of my HID kits on one side of the Bonneville earlier to see if they would work for sure before buying a kit, and driving with one HID lamp and one Halogen lamp, I couldn't even see the pattern on the halogen lamp because it was so dim. To say that you see less with an HID kit than you would with a halogen kit at a distance is absolutely ridiculous.

I have an 6000k kit in my cutlass, and two 8000k kits in my TGP (lows and fogs) and I never get flashed, or harrassed.

You can see much better with HID's, period. Just don't have them aimed in the sky and you'll be fine.

I have an 6000k kit in my cutlass, and two 8000k kits in my TGP (lows and fogs) and I never get flashed, or harrassed.

You can see much better with HID's, period. Just don't have them aimed in the sky and you'll be fine.

it also appears that your head lights are smoked anyway, that would dim them quite a bit! i am thinkin about doing what you did on yours, if i do the HID kit.

I think that a crisp white beam would set the from of my car off while giving it more of the "Luxury car" look I'm going for. I could pay someone to do a projector retro but that delves even farther into things I have no idea about.

Wow. HID retrofits really seem like a good idea! :rolleyes:

DOT approved headlights are more than bright enough in the city and under streetlamps. If your DOT approved halogen headlights aren't bright enough on dark country roads, install a set of properly aimed halogen driving lights for a safe and legal solution.

4300 will look almost normal and 6000k will be purplish

colortemp.jpg

6000k doesn't look purpleish to me

I have 6000k on my F150 trust me they are purpleish. I had 8000k on my Aurora and they were blue so I got rid of them and installed 4300k.

I have 6000k on my F150 trust me they are purpleish. I had 8000k on my Aurora and they were blue so I got rid of them and installed 4300k.

6000k are not purple....they don't start to look purple until around 12000k...

3.1Cutlass, who did you get your kit off of Ebay from and how much were they if you dont mind me asking.

also....is that kit a 35 watt or 50 watt setup?

6000k are not purple....they don't start to look purple until around 12000k...

I thought the same thing? Maybe the box says 6000k but they are not. Who knows :neutral:

i have the 6000k set form ZZP on my low beams and now after having those on my car for about 4 months if i ever drive a car at night that does not have HIDs on it. to me it feels like the lights are not even on.

And if you get flashed by other drivers just try aming you lights lower.

or make sure your middle finger is properly extended out of the driver side window. fuck assholes that play hi beam police. 90% of the time they arent even afftcted by the light, weather its your his or los they just want to be assholes. im tempted to carry a 1m candlepower spotlight in my car.

3.1Cutlass, who did you get your kit off of Ebay from and how much were they if you dont mind me asking.

The ebay store was xtreme accessories. They were about 75 bucks shipped.

also....is that kit a 35 watt or 50 watt setup?

I am not sure. I will look that up tomorrow.

I agree that unless you are going to spend the money and put the HIDS in properly then don't do it. By properly I'm talking about proper housings, lenses, etc.

Wow. HID retrofits really seem like a good idea! :rolleyes:

DOT approved headlights are more than bright enough in the city and under streetlamps. If your DOT approved halogen headlights aren't bright enough on dark country roads, install a set of properly aimed halogen driving lights for a safe and legal solution.

I painted the bottom of my reflective surface inside the headlight black so the light won't bounce up into peoples' eyes as much, and I noticed it did make a very big difference in reducing the blinding factor for oncoming traffic.

I'm using an 8000k conversion kit and I haven't had a single problem with cops here in Chicago.

I read it and would have to disagree. As previously mentioned, I blacked out the bottom of my headlight reflectors so I don't blind oncoming traffic. However, I can still see very well at a far distance, and MUCH better than I could with the halogens. I tested one of my HID kits on one side of the Bonneville earlier to see if they would work for sure before buying a kit, and driving with one HID lamp and one Halogen lamp, I couldn't even see the pattern on the halogen lamp because it was so dim. To say that you see less with an HID kit than you would with a halogen kit at a distance is absolutely ridiculous.

Did you read a single word of the article I posted or watch the video where it clearly shows the beam is scattered?

Did you read a single word of the article I posted or watch the video where it clearly shows the beam is scattered?

Yeah, but for some strange reason the beam I have on the regal looks near identical to the one I had with my halogens, only a lot brighter. Once I blacked out the bottom of the reflectors, I stopped blinding people too...