how hard is it to change the rear shocks?

GPdriver1986

My rear shocks in my GP are noisy and leak some fluid. How hard is it to change the rear shocks? I only have the basic tools, no impact wrench.

3 near the brakes and 1 in the trunk for each side, right? Are they hard to remove because of corrosion? and will the suspension shift once the old shock is removed therefore making it harder to put the new shock on?

If you indepently remove / install each shock you shouldn't have a problem. Also, since the mono-leaf will be under tension after removal, you'll want another jack to "lift" the side of the mono-leaf (avoid metal - metal contact, use wood) to the strut so you can bolt it back in to the frame and rear knuckle.

- Erik

its so easy to do! i did both rears (with new brackets too) when i first got my 1st-gen. piece of pie!

Hey Lee.....got any more info on the UB3 cluster? I want ! :D

Seeing as how it's extremely beneficial to remove spring tension to change the rear struts (like Redfox described), I'd highly recommend getting a set of jack stands.

At one time, I didn't have a hydraulic jack, so I used the one that came with the car. I had 2 pair of jackstands so I used the car's jack to lift it as high as possible, set a jackstand as high as possible under the edge of the spring cushioned with wood, lowered the car to remove spring tension, then place a jackstand under the frame of the car itself. It's always a good idea to have jackstands because you don't want to trust the jack alone. Cars are heavy.

I didnt have the instructions, but whats his name does....with the pearl white cutlass.....whats his name.

Anyway I've done so many rear strut installs that I'm about ready to videotape myself doing it. Just need a videorecorder. And I just got my new struts in the mail today and installing them tomorrow!

I can only speak for myself here, I am sure SOMEONE will tell me that I am wrong. So to combat it, I DON'T GIVE A SHIT. When I did my struts, I beat the lips off of one of my lower strut nuts trying to hammer it back through the strut. (It wouldn't budge) I used a jack (had the car on stands) to lift and lower the damn thing until kindom come, never made a difference. I then used one jack to hold the car in place, then my big jack to lift from the knuckle. I removed the jack under the car. Then lowered the jack VERY low. When I got the knuckle about 5" off the ground the bolts practically fell out. The mono leaf presses harder the higher it is off the ground, so if your car is 2' off the ground alot of stress is acting on the side that is higher. So, in my case no matter how high I lifter the suspension I just kept putting more tension on the spring. Lowering the car to level or beyond released the stress and fixed my situation. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.