I found an entire interior I want, how long to pull??

hmdznrcld

Hey I am really new to these w-bodies, but was yard hunting the other day and found a complete tan interior with good carpet, How long does it take and what tricks are needed to get the stuff out without knowing where all the clips and crap are?

hmdznrcld aka RUNDLC

This assumes hand tools, power would be faster (for bolts and whatnot)...

front seats ~ 5 mins/side - 4 inverse torx bolts, 1/corner on the tracks. if the seats are power make sure you have a way of powering them

rear bench ~ 2 mins bottom, maybe 5 mins back. 2 10? mm bolts facing forwards about a foot in from each side for bottom. Can't remember how the back is held in, I know there are some small bars that hook it onto the frame, then maybe 2 bolts on the bottom.

front console ~ 10 mins max. remove shift knob (c-clip in knob facing forwards), then console storage bin, then shifter plate, then front/rear bolts holding main section to the floor pan/shifter assembly.

seat belt receivers ~ 5 mins, should be a single bolt for each

abs computer under pass. seat, if applicable ~ 2 mins

removing the shifter assembly might make it easier to get the carpet out, ~ 5 mins.

door frame trim - 10 mins max. assorted clips hold these in, and maybe some screws (at least on coupes).

Start with the sections on the bottom of each of the front doors - just pull up from the back of it (where it meets b-pillar section).

Then the a-pillar sections - just kinda grab it around the actual a-pillar and pull it out toward the bottom rear corner of the door. if it doesn't come so easy, start at the top/back where it meets the b-pillar.

I can't remember how the rest come out, but it'll go something like top rear door trim next, then bottom rear, then b-pillars last.

black lower kick panels under either side of the dash ~ 3 mins

lower dash carpeted knee panels ~ 5 mins

carpet should've been ready to lift out at this point, expect to spend a few mins struggling with it.

headliner - good luck

dash:

remove cluster and/or radio surround trim

remove upper pad

remove glove box door

remove glove box insert

remove main fascia/vents

~25 mins

there's a section of the dash that's permenantly attached to the whole carrier and would be a bitch to remove (wiring, ducting etc...), so I hope your old color blends with your new one or that you decide to spraypaint this section tactfully.

Front door panels:

door handle trim surrounds - single screw

look into hole around door handle upwards towards back of the door - remove 7 mm hex bolt (about an inch long and a PITA with the door handle in the way).

switch assemblies (some unscrew, some clip in)

big ass screw that holds armrest area to door frame (behind switch assemblies)

trim section from around seatbelt (if you have door seatbelts) - top section pops out, surrounding section has screws.

reflector on rear of door - pops out (be gentle) + screws behind it.

screw on top front of door near mirror

start pulling! should be just push clips left

~15 mins/door first time

rear doors:

door handle trim surround

ashtray

reflector

i can't remember where all the screws are on the rear doors.. sorry

I dunno, I guess your first time you should except 3 hours of frustration total, maybe less. Make sure you bring a good assortment of sockets and find something that will fit the inverse torx bolts on the seats.

Q-ball and I pulled an entire interior minus the dash in 45 minutes out of a 94+ GP. I know it was 45 minutes cause thats all we had before the wreckers closed.

Of course practice makes perfect, we've done it a few times!

Jamie

yeah and most of the time they are not that tight. i had no problems when i did mine :mrgreen: This should be a sticky. and that bolt behind the panel can be a pita but once you get it started it goes easy

Q-ball and I pulled an entire interior minus the dash in 45 minutes out of a 94+ GP.

Of course practice makes perfect, we've done it a few times!

guarantee i could get that done in an hour by myself, minus the dash, including all door n interior trim. ive done it wayyyyy too many times.

nevermind inverted torx for the seat bolts, 5/16 or 8mm 6 point sockets work just fine

yup....never once have i stripped one of those with an 8mm. and they are pretty tight sometimes