Fiberglass/Metal Fabrication - Anyone interested?

PCGUY112887

Right now I have 3 gauges in my car on a plain Autometer metal bracket. The bracket works, but I coulden't screw it to the car due to the vents being in the way. So I ghetto rigged it at the time (I just wanted to be DONE!) with some Velcro.

Problem is, when it gets hot in the car the adhesive moves all over, letting the bracket sag. The whole thing looks rigged even when it doesn't sag.

dash1.jpg

Would anyone be willing to make something for me that would allow me to mount these gauges in this space better?

What center console do you have? I would suggest getting a piece of aluminum and cutting holes to fit the gauges, then mounting that metal in the cubby of the center console, just cut the aluminum to fit the opening.

Jamie

What center console do you have? I would suggest getting a piece of aluminum and cutting holes to fit the gauges, then mounting that metal in the cubby of the center console, just cut the aluminum to fit the opening.

Jamie

Good idea. Not very hard either.

Why not use an A-pillar mount?

A-pillar mounts look like shit.

Umm because no one makes a-piller mounts for our cars :rolleyes:

I also already have all of the wires ran to the middle of the car. There were a lot of them for the wideband, I rather not have to move them all the way over to the a-piller.

For the center console I guess I just have the regular console, shifter on it. I know the cubby you mention but I have a sub adjustment knob down there, also 3 gauges won't fit there :cry:

The GP DIC goes in right behind where you have it mounted now correct? Why not just make a cardboard templete of the opening, trace the pattern on a piece of metal and cut it out. Then just figure out a way to fasten it to the dash and you should be good to go.

Your right, they don't make them FOR our cars, but they make them for other cars that fit nicely. I think the ones made for j-bodies work, can't remember what years...

what size are the gauges your using?

Jamie

The GP DIC goes in right behind where you have it mounted now correct? Why not just make a cardboard templete of the opening, trace the pattern on a piece of metal and cut it out. Then just figure out a way to fasten it to the dash and you should be good to go.

I've thought of this before (even though that hole isn't really for the DIC) but I just can't think of a way to keep the metal in there! I can think of ways to keep it in but I could never remove it again (aka strong glue/adhesive) and I know I will need to be able to remove it at some time to replace a bulb or switch gauges or something.