turbo 3.1 in z34???

carl

my brother just bought a 92 z34 5 speed with a bad motor. Well when we got finished pulling the motor out last night i asked him if he wanted to rebuild it or put my old tgp motor down in it. He was cool with putin in the tgp motor in so we have been comparing engine wiring harnesses and theres a couple of different things, im worried about if the gauges will work with the tgp engine harness and computer. Things like the fuel lines and PS lines are different too. just wanted to see if anyone has ever tried to do something like this. I think it will be cool to see how the tgp motor works with the 284 tranny.

I would compare the pinouts of the firewall connector. If they match or would only take minor work to make them the same, I would use the TGP wiring.

I would rebuild the LQ1 with higher compression, port/polish, etc. The prototype for those was pushing 300HP, then GM tuned them down. I think it would be really badass if someone could make a n/a DOHC that was 300HP. Oh, and keep a Z a Z and use the DOHC

Robby

If you use the TGP motor for ANYTHING, use it as a temporary motor. Take your time, and do the rebuild of the DOHC right, trust me, nothing sound better than 7200 RPMs...safely!!

i dont see any problem, the LQ1 and 3.1 harnesses are interchangable with a little re-routing, all the wires are the same and all the sensors and wire colors are the same, but some of the sensors are in different locations. when i put the 3.4 in my 94 lumina that was a 3.1 car, i re-used my original 3.1 harness and just re-routed the wires to the sensor locations on the 3.4, and put on some new loom. the biggest compliment i got on my install was from a 20 year gm tech, he said "it looks like it came from the factory" - that's what we're shooting for here. a good clean looking install, not a hacked job where people go "they shoulda kept the dohc"

I like the 3.4 4cam motor, but I think the potential to go faster, easier is in the T3.1. I did see a monte with a 3.4 5 speed at 42 lastnight run a high 14. I was really impressed. The 3.1 engine harness is actually 2 harness. One for the top of the engine and one for the bottem of the engine stuff, like starter and other sensors. The 3.4 harness is all one piece. If that makes any sence. We got the 3.1 motor all broke down today and it will go to the machine shop tomorrow. The 3.4 has huge ports, i bet if you had a turbo or SC on it, it would dominate!

IF you aren't going to keep the 3.4, I'd personally choose the L67 over the Turbo 3.1, simply for the HUGE aftermarket, well, huge compared to the Turbo 3.1 :lol: Whatever ya decide to do, w/ boost, I'm sure you'll be happy! Good luck!

The Turbo 3.1 is way easier to install as far as wiring is concerned, and doesn't require a custom flywheel.

If time is a concern, the Turbo 3.1 will be much easier and faster to install. You could probably get it in there in an afternoon.

carl,

you should still be able to use the factory 3.4 harness and just re-route the wiring to where it needs to be(most of it would be top-end sensors and possibly the alternator wiring), and have a chip burned for the tgp code w/ 5 speed, and add your wire to the ecm for the boost valve or whatever extra wire the tgp has.

i think rerouting the existing harness will be much simpler than modifying an automatic tgp or 3.1 harness.