Cluster Question

Robby1870

Does anyone know what the voltage should be in the cluster, like when test the ignition/power pinout and the ground pinout with the key in the "ON" position??

Robby

with the key just on, should be about 11 - 12V you'd usually only get 13 if you use a voltmeter directly on the battery, and even then, it'll be low 13's to high 12s

Okay, cuz I when I checked mine ( my speedo is acting sporadic), the voltmeter said like 2 volts!! I think I got a bad cluster fuse or short somewhere

Robby

haha when i used to have ur cluster i would be driving and sometimes it would randomly shoot up to some insane speed like 85 or 115 and drop back down. sometimes it wouldnt go back down so i would pull over to the side of the road in a grassy area and peel out with one wheel. when i did that it usually went back down but i dont know if thats what actually fixed that lol

Well, I think I have a short in the cluster, cuz Im not charging fully. I went to the junkyard today that is 30 minutes away. Car ran fine, but the speedo was shaky and jumpy. Anyway, I go to leave and have this feeling like "this thing isnt gonna start" and sure enough, wouldnt turn over. Get one of the jumper pack things, starts up and I drive home. Oh, and running the a/c and healights (puttin a load on the battery) makes the speedo problem basically go away. Thats why I think its a charge problem or a short

Robby

Well, I think I have a short in the cluster, cuz Im not charging fully. I went to the junkyard today that is 30 minutes away. Car ran fine, but the speedo was shaky and jumpy. Anyway, I go to leave and have this feeling like "this thing isnt gonna start" and sure enough, wouldnt turn over. Get one of the jumper pack things, starts up and I drive home. Oh, and running the a/c and healights (puttin a load on the battery) makes the speedo problem basically go away. Thats why I think its a charge problem or a short

Robby

lol, you know..... the Suburban did the exact same thing once.... the problem was the alternator....

Well, Im leaning toward alternator now. I ran the car today, just in park, and used a screwdriver as a stethoscope to listen to my various accessories. And, the closer I put the screwdriver to the alternator bearing, the louder this high-pitched squeal got. And, when I turn the lights or A/C on, I can hear the alternator trying to keep up. So, I think its the alternator, but the thing is this alternator is less than a year old, and would be my 3rd in like 10 months (one was bad from the parts store). So, more than likely, me and Badprix might be changing my alternator along with his head gasket this weekend!

Robby

When my most recent alternator went... same thing happened with my instrument cluster...

I feared I was dealing with Christine!!! :shock:

Speedo would show 130 when I was at a stop sign, etc.

Yeah, with my last one, the gauges only went ape shit like 3 minutes before the car died. The speedo has been jumping for atleast two weeks if not more

Robby