Column shift late model Cutlass coupe???

w-bodys_are_the_best

No, it's not. Just because a car is automatic doesn't mean it needs column shift. I'm sure automatic Mazda 3s or automatic Cobalts would be awesome with column shift. :lol:

No, it's not. Just because a car is automatic doesn't mean it needs column shift. I'm sure automatic Mazda 3s or automatic Cobalts would be awesome with column shift. :lol:

The car will drive exactly the same regardless of of shifter placement, and floor shifters take up precious space in the compact cars you mentioned.

Yes, but that would look stupid. A big huge shifter sticking out of a compact car's steering wheel. Column shift just isn't as comfortable to deal with on a daily basis. It's the only thing I don't like about my grandma's Cadillac.

Yes, but that would look stupid. A big huge shifter sticking out of a compact car's steering wheel. Column shift just isn't as comfortable to deal with on a daily basis. It's the only thing I don't like about my grandma's Cadillac.

What cars are you talking about with "big huge shifters sticking out of a compact car's steering wheel?" Floor shifters do take up more interior space.

Comfort is a matter of preference. I can shift between OD and R in my column-equipped Cutlass without even looking at the cluster.

I'm talking about a column-shifter protruding from the rather small steering wheel of any small-ish car...Mazda Miata, Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Cobalt, Toyota Corolla, etc.

It'd look stupid. And floor shifters eat up space, yes. In my grandma's column-shift equipped car, there's room enough for an extra seat where the shifter would be if it had floor shift.

But in a small car like that the space freed up by a column shifter still wouldn't be very much.

I guess. It's still more of a fashion statement more than anything, and serves no functional purpose. Good for ricers too because it's harder to see when they shift into "N" at stoplights.

If everybody wants real floor shifters, then get off your ass America and learn to drive stick shifts.

I guess. It's still more of a fashion statement more than anything, and serves no functional purpose. Good for ricers too because it's harder to see when they shift into "N" at stoplights.

If everybody wants real floor shifters, then get off your ass America and learn to drive stick shifts.

Very true. But today, cars are nothing more than mobile fashion statements.