Delaware inspection Problems

shadow

The hi/lo beams in my car didn't work so I checked it out and it seems broken in the column anyway I removed the rod that connects it to the switch and zip tied it to the tilt wheel lever so when I push forward on the tilt lever the brights go on and off. Well the prick at the DMV saw what I did and failed me for a defective dimmer switch. My question is does it really matter if I relocate the switch as long as the high/lo beams work? I live in Delaware now for the past year or so.

Chris

I am not sure I follow you here, however I do know that at least in my column the switch can be finicky and i have to have the tilt in the right position or the highs don't work. I do not know off hand if you can adjust the position of the actual hi/lo switch myself.

have you torn down the column yet to investigate this further?

and from what you described, I would have failed you for that "fix" as well.

I am not sure I follow you here, however I do know that at least in my column the switch can be finicky and i have to have the tilt in the right position or the highs don't work. I do not know off hand if you can adjust the position of the actual hi/lo switch myself.

have you torn down the column yet to investigate this further?

and from what you described, I would have failed you for that "fix" as well.

yeah i have to do it the right way I guess. Seems like the only way to get to the switch in the column is to remove the steering wheel which I don't know how to do, Someone here advised me I dont need to remove the steering wheel but I looked to day and it looks impossible and I fear that if I bring it to the dealer they are gonna hassle me cause its a old car and charge me $800.00 to fix it. I priced the switch at the dealer and its like $140.00 retail :eek: Just cause I have a BMW does not mean I am rich. I worked hard to get that car.

geez. You DO NOT need a new thread covering the same topic. please read what i wrote in your first thread.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=67663.msg850897#msg850897

you have been informed on what to do, and it will be obvious once you lower the column. Why ghetto wrong what you can do right???? as your car has a square column, the switch is external of the upper electronics within the column. you need only remove the trim retaining screws, and the four bolts holding the column, and lower it to inspect and facilitate repairs.

for the record. I had the switch actually break in my 92 lumina in the middle of a 1000 miles trip. it got stuck with the highs and lows on, and you could smell burning. the inside of the switch melted. good thing is I had a spare used switch in the trunk. it took me all of ten minutes to lower the column, replace the switch, adjust it, and reinstall the column.... on an interstate off ramp none the less.

geez. You DO NOT need a new thread covering the same topic. please read what i wrote in your first thread.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=67663.msg850897#msg850897

you have been informed on what to do, and it will be obvious once you lower the column. Why ghetto wrong what you can do right???? as your car has a square column, the switch is external of the upper electronics within the column. you need only remove the trim retaining screws, and the four bolts holding the column, and lower it to inspect and facilitate repairs.

for the record. I had the switch actually break in my 92 lumina in the middle of a 1000 miles trip. it got stuck with the highs and lows on, and you could smell burning. the inside of the switch melted. good thing is I had a spare used switch in the trunk. it took me all of ten minutes to lower the column, replace the switch, adjust it, and reinstall the column.... on an interstate off ramp none the less.

I am sorry about that. I should have known better. It wont happen again and thanks for the help.

Chris