olds cutlass

I am looking at a Hi mile 1995 cutlass convertible that looks great inside and out, new top, leather seats. Only drawback in my mind is the motor. It has the 3.4 dual overhead cam motor. I have been told to stay away from these. I have a Supreme with the 3.1 and have 255K on it with very few problems. What do you guys think of the 3.4 engines. Should i walk away from this one. I can probably get it for 2,500.00.

A lot of shops won't touch it I hear. As long as it's been maintained (i.e. timing belt) it shouldn't be too bad to work on. The only real problems are the alternators like to go out and I guess they're a bitch to get to on the DOHC. Book time I think is supposed to be 4+ hours but some guys have gotten it down to 45 mins. How many miles you talkin?

if you can turn a wrench and aren't afraid to dive in, they aren't too bad. Tbelt and Alt, like he said, are the two big things. Tstat change takes about two minute, though :lol:

Its got 190K on it. I havent heard the thing run yet. The car itself looks like its been taken care of inside and out. I have always worked on my own vehicles. I can do everything but tranny work. Is the altenator on the bottom of these. If it had a 3.1 I'd buy it in a heart beat but I just dont know about the 3.4.

if you're comfortable with taking wheels off, loosening subframe bolts, and getting a little dirty, the alt isnt that bad, and that's the main thing on these. The Tbelt, I did my first one blindly, although I used the stock marks, but it worked out great

I have a DOHC and it makes a good driveway ornament.

L67 > 3800 > 3400 > 3100 > Portable Shithouse > DOHC

:P

When they run they're good, but if they don't they'll make you want to push it off a cliff. :willynilly:

Mine is just shy of 222,222km (just over 138k miles) and I filled the crank case with coolant at 190,000km, runs better now than it did before The head gasket blew.

I hated the 3.4L when I first got it, but its growing on me. I haven't ventured into doing any of the major repairs like timing belt or the alt. But when the time comes, I will take my time and do it right.

Jamie

my 3.4 DOHC has been the most reliable engine in any of my cars so far, I've almost clocked 100,000mi in the 4 years I've had it, one alternator, one timing belt in that time.

same here, only replaced the alt and timing belt and i have over 315,000 kms on her and she still runs like a top. no leaks or anything else. i would buy another car with the 3.4 dohc without even thinking twice about it.

Cars with the 3.4 are getting pretty rare around here. When the timing belt goes and shops tell the owner its gonna be $1000+ to fix it they just scrap the car.

When my head gasket blew GM wanted $2200 plus parts for the job... I ended up finally getting it done at a really shady shop for $500 plus parts. I even had a GM dealer say they wouldn't do the job, they would rather replace the engine.

Thats why when it comes time to do the timing belt, I'll be putting in another call to 93luminaz34 to give me a hand with it. I'm sure once he shows me how to do it from start to finish, it won't be a problem in the future for me to deal with on my own.

Jamie

I've owned three LQ1s....and would definitely would buy another when the opportunity presents itself....I'd take a properly maintained DOHC powered car over a 3400/3100/3.1/2.8 powered car any day of the week.

I've owned three LQ1s....and would definitely would buy another when the opportunity presents itself....I'd take a properly maintained DOHC powered car over a 3400/3100/3.1/2.8 powered car any day of the week.

+1

i drive a 2002 3800 series II bonnie and its nothing like the 3.4dohc! Still excited that its finnaly running agian. the 3.4dohc i had ran 198k HARD miles and i drove it to the shop to get the motor yanked for a crate motor.