Turbocharged Grand Prix GXP dyno at clubgp

mfewtrail

wow...505 whp...up from 303 crank HP stock

that is easily doubled whp there.....that is freaking efficient....I"m impressed....

even a TGP didn't double stock HP w/ just a turbo and vavle springs.....LS motors must really be made by god.

Nice but for $5400 and then to build a tranny to handle it,no thanks.

You gotta pay to play..

Yeah but for the price of a GXP then to add $5400 on to that plus $3-$4k for a tranny no thanks,I choose not to play that game an 05-06 GTO could be had with a 100+ shot with better results or even an older w-body 3.8 sc converted to turbo would be more of my thing.

450 wheel horsepower at about 10 psi of boost. This is equivalent to almost 600 engine horsepower

:lol:

3rd Gen W-bodies must have a beast of a transmission.

450 wheel horsepower at about 10 psi of boost. This is equivalent to almost 600 engine horsepower

That's actually pretty much right on the money... 20% drivetrain loss to 600 crank hp is 480.

Actually these things are having more transmission problems stock than those of the modded L67 cars.I hope noone puts this on a stock tranny and expects it to last that long.

Actually these things are having more transmission problems stock than those of the modded L67 cars.I hope noone puts this on a stock tranny and expects it to last that long.

Yeah the GXP section on CGP has had a lot of tranny problems.

So you're saying driveline loss is a linear value? I don't understand how that is.

Wouldn't a set transmission have a set loss, regardless of crank horsepower? I could see driveline loss being a linear value with an automatic, torque converters stall at higher speeds with more horsepower, things like that, but wouldn't a manual transmission absorb a set amount of power regardless of the horsepower ran through it?

Kevin, I've never understood how HP loss is linear either.....

...and why GM put a 65HD behind 303 whp is beyond me.....

....they can barely take the puny 240 hp of the L67

the stock trans in the GTP can stand up to 12 second times....I hardly think that's "puny" :roll:

I have a local friend that went through 2 65's in his 99 GP GT, and is now on his second tranny in his 01 GTP.....w/ less than 70k miles on the car

...he is a car freak and loves GP's.....he is not hard on the car....I dunno why 65's and 65HD's seem weak....

the stock trans in the GTP can stand up to 12 second times....I hardly think that's "puny" :roll:

On slicks, or street tires? Big difference. The 4T65E isn't exactly a beast of a transmission.

I'm sure stock V-8 equipped W-bodies, and most other high horsepower FWD GM products, have extremely aggressive torque management. They'll give you 303 fwhp but probably won't let you use it all. Ford has also done this with the Mustang GT.

I dunno why 65's and 65HD's seem weak....

Look at the size between a 4T60E/4T65E and compare that to the size of a 4L60E/4L65E. That's why FWD automatic transmissions won't take as much power.

On slicks, or street tires? Big difference. The 4T65E isn't exactly a beast of a transmission.

I'm sure stock V-8 equipped W-bodies, and most other high horsepower FWD GM products, have extremely aggressive torque management. They'll give you 303 fwhp but probably won't let you use it all. Ford has also done this with the Mustang GT.

No shit there's a big difference between slicks and street tires. All the runs I've seen were street tires, although I'm sure there are some slicks times out there too. And the GXP's have some kind of torque management as well.

No shit there's a big difference between slicks and street tires. All the runs I've seen were street tires, although I'm sure there are some slicks times out there too. And the GXP's have some kind of torque management as well.

Just because you've seen some 12 second runs doesn't mean the transmissions of these cars have held up over time. I'm sure I could get 300 horsepower/14 second 1/4 mile through my 4T60E but that doesn't mean it would hold up for any length of time.

I never said I've never seen any run just tracks. I know a couple of guys who are in the 13.0/12.9x times that are DD's.

And? Some individuals are luckier than others. Just because you know a "couple of guys who are in the 13's that are DD's" doesn't mean cramming lots of horsepower through a 4T65E is a good idea. Hell this applies to damn near anything. For example, overall most people on this forum would say w-bodies are extremely durable and reliable cars, but both of my w-bodies have been nothing but money pits and have left me on the side of the road many times.

4T65-E HD's are pretty decent as-is. There are plenty of guys that have been running 12's(some even quicker than that)with bone stock transaxles on drag radials and even slicks for a long time. Some of those guys have a ton of track passes on their cars. Then there are some people that waste their transaxles bone stock. The cars that were nearly stock were likely BEAT and too many one wheel peels finally take their toll...