STB from GM

godofthunder

Ok, is the one from GMpartsdirrect (#12456148), also available from the dealer? DO I just give them the above number?

Also, how long does this take to install...and is it quite easy?

I would post in the other one...but it seems to have gone off topic :?

jon

I dont think GM offers a rear one, but, I have seen the GM front one adapted to the rear. It was attached to the side of the strut towers and not the top, because the front towers are angled in and the rears are not, so the top of the rears are farther apart. However, I dont think a rear stb attached to the sides of the towers is gonna be as effective as one that attaches to the tops.

Anyway, all you have to do is drill 4 holes in your strut tower covers and but the brace on. A word to the wise, if you have to work on your motor alot, dont put the lock washers on that come with the kit. Its a major PITA taking those lock washers off. In fact, I tore mine up the first time I had to take them off.

Robby

ok, this is gonna sound stupid

but you would take off the black covers, and drill em, and then install the brace? Am i going to need to get an alignment done or anything (just had a 4 wheel one done), and do i need anything special to hold anything, while i take the black covers off?

sorry, just neveer done anything like this, to this car

jon

ok, this is gonna sound stupid

but you would take off the black covers, and drill em, and then install the brace? Am i going to need to get an alignment done or anything (just had a 4 wheel one done), and do i need anything special to hold anything, while i take the black covers off?

sorry, just neveer done anything like this, to this car

jon

No alignment needed.

robby, those lockwashers are for holding the 2 bolt assembly to the plates, not for putting between the bar and the nut

Dont I feel like a dumbass!!

Robby

DBP is your thing, right?

$20 plus shiping? Also...does it really seem to help in the rear? And, do you guarentee anything...or provide instalation inst?

jon

I just installed the GM front bar on my car last week and it made a HUGE difference. Installation was a peice of cake. Took me about 20 minutes just because my drill bit was dull. I didn't know those lock washers went between the plate and the bar either. Mine are sitting between the bar and the nuts (man, that just doesn't sound right.)

I make rear STBs too.... workin on gettin the pics up, but i do em for $35 plus shipping, i back everything up 100% and offer plenty of instalation assistance. PM me for more info or check out my thread in the for sale section to see pics of the froint for now, rear pics coming as soon as i can get my stupid computer to read the memory card...

- Justin

yep mine come with all the installation instructions and hardware, i dont have a written guarentee but if they dont fit just send it back and tell me whats wrong with it and ill make it fit, im going to stay away from the satisfaction guarentees, its hard to know how people are 'satisfied' nowadays...

Has anyone put a stb on a 3.4L 96

is there enough clearence with the plenumn?

can the dipstick for transmission still be accessed?

will hood clearance be an issue.

I just picked it up, install tommorw

ONe questsion though....it seems to be REALLY close to the Alt. LIke, a mil. of clearance on a test fit. Is this right?

Jon

I just picked it up, install tommorw

ONe questsion though....it seems to be REALLY close to the Alt. LIke, a mil. of clearance on a test fit. Is this right?

Jon

Mine looked the same way. One thing you can do is put the bolts in the bar and then test fit the bar again. I did the same thing and thought that it was going to hit the alt but when the bolt heads were figured in, it cleared by 3/4".

I did a beter fit today...and while it is REALLY Close, when the engine jerks, it actually jerks away from it too...

But, I see what you mean with the bolts. Its gotta sit upa little bit anyways caus of the locks and stuff

Does anyone have a picture of one of these installed in a 3100 Engine bayt, or can get some? Also, if possible, take a pic of the clearance you have?

Jon