Cycling Cooling Fans

runt

Anyway easy way to do this on a OBD-II car without getting it up to temperature?

I've got a code scanner, but I don't think that I an "make" it do it. I know on the OBD-I cars if you jump the pins they cycle.

Thanks.

Why do you want to do this?

I want to be sure that the right fan is coming on when the car gets hot. As far as I know, I have NEVER heard the right side fan on. EVER.

I seem to recall seeing a switch and harness offered on a Pontiac Grandprix website that you could install and turn the fan on manually. I have thought about doing this just because the temp has to get way up there before that right fan ever comes on. Way to hot for me anyway. When setting in traffic or drivethru I will usually kick the ac on just to keep the temp from climbing up. I like for it to stay cool. I had a mechanic buddy that told me to do that because it doesnt take much heat to warp those heads.

Mine is a Gen III 60 degree V6 with iron block, aluminum heads, aluminum intake, and aluminum front cover. Very important to keep an eye on the temp gauge. Thats why I keep the ac running in slow traffic or drive thru just to keep one of the cooling fans on.

:ugone2far:

W-bodies, hell damn near every modern car, will not overheat, even in stop-and-go traffic, if the cooling system is operating properly. All cycling the A/C to turn on the secondary fan does is waste gasoline.

AND

From personal experience, 60*V6 aluminum heads do not warp as easily as claimed.

Thats fine with me with gas as cheap as it is, it only reached $3.53 hear this morning and supposed to get to $3.70 by the end of the day. I just hope it reaches $4.00 by the end of next week. Its good for the consumer, economy, its just a plus all the way around. :evil: