More turn signal questions

Addicted to eaton

Turn signal

1. Turn signals- I was under the impression that if my turn signal switch was bad I would not have brake lights and I do. Would the broken off. Not so good of shape 4 way switch cause this? How hard/Expensive would it be to change?

I can only speak for my 94 cutlass, on which the stop and hazard flashers are on the same circuit, and the turns are on their own. Even if they are on the same circuit a bad fuse or broken feed wire is what would cause both to go out. More than likely you're getting power to the line side of your turn signal switch but when you move the lever you're not getting contact from the line to the load side of the switch because of corrosion or it being broken. As far as removing switch, again on my 94 I had to remove airbag, steering wheel, lock gear, etc. I think on your car you can take the cover off the steering column just behind the steering wheel, but I'm not sure.

My signals don't work when you flip the actuator, you have to hold it.

Its been that way since I bought the car.

I'm not paying a shop 900 bucks to make my blinkers work on their own. (Column rebuild from what I understand is extremely PRICEY on the square columns)

Turn signal

1. Turn signals- I was under the impression that if my turn signal switch was bad I would not have brake lights and I do. Would the broken off. Not so good of shape 4 way switch cause this? How hard/Expensive would it be to change?

did you replace the $3 flasher like I suggested?

When my turn signal switch crapped out I had brake lights still, but the flashers didn't always flash - just stayed on solid. Replaced the switch and all was fine, and still is. Wouldn't hurt to change the flasher first, but in my case my flasher was fine.

http://tss.likeabigdog.com/

That's a turn signal replacement write up for a 94+ W. Should work for you.

Or you can try this

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=50575.0

Yea follow that. Just because the signals don't work, doesn't mean your brake lights won't.

For 3 years my signals require jiggling to get them to flash. Brake lights work fine.

You need replace the switch in the column. The part is under $100 and it's really easy to do.

Turn signal

did you replace the $3 flasher like I suggested?

Forgot all about that. I was wondering were it was located.. I seen you picture But is that By the blower motor.

I know there is one hanging Down by my Park brake. I think it looks like the same thing (sash was out of the car) and i plan on takeing it out again so not a Big deal.

two prong all the way.

the problem with ALL of the w-body turn signal switches, is when they wear out they become intermittent. While the third brake light is not affected, sometimes the corner brake lights work intermittently dependent on the position of the switch, and sometimes completely independent..

example:

both brake lights work when the turn signal is off, but niether works when the turn signal is applied

or

neither brake lights work when the turn signal is off, but the opposite side brake light works when the turn signal is applied

or..

any intermittant combination of anything above based on planatary alignment.

NOTE: this affects CS, Regals, and Lumina/MCs, but not GPs which have distinct brake and turn signals.

IDEA!!!!! (rather a Been There, Done that)

Many cadillacs (and even my old 75 buick electra) have fiber optic indicators. I made and have installed on one of my cars a LED based circuit that functions similar to the fiber optics. One led represents each rear corner of the car, and is spliced into the power feed wires as an indicator to allow me to determine when the circuit is active. these LEDs were mounted in the third brake light housing, and are visible in my rear view mirror.

I know when my lights are on, and can verify circuit functionallity at all/any time. if the light doesn't go on when it should, I know I have a probelm.

the problem with ALL of the w-body turn signal switches, is when they wear out they become intermittent. While the third brake light is not affected, sometimes the corner brake lights work intermittently dependent on the position of the switch, and sometimes completely independent..

example:

both brake lights work when the turn signal is off, but niether works when the turn signal is applied

or

neither brake lights work when the turn signal is off, but the opposite side brake light works when the turn signal is applied

or..

NOTE: this affects CS, Regals, and Lumina/MCs, but not GPs which have distinct brake and turn signals.

Is this dependant on year? The switch in my GP has been screwy for a few years. It's become second nature to just pull the stalk as i use the left signal. Theres a chance my rear tails/brakelights are working only occasionally?

example:

or

or..

Is this dependant on year? The switch in my GP has been screwy for a few years. It's become second nature to just pull the stalk as i use the left signal. Theres a chance my rear tails/brakelights are working only occasionally?

Doubtful, like Ken said, the brake lights and blinkers on the GPs are separate. I have to hold the stalk in mine to get it to flash (turning both directions) but I thought it was just a problem in the earlier model (square) steering columns. Mine's been messed up since i bought the car, I doubt I'll ever fix it. LOL

I changed both flashers today. 4 ways still work lol. I changed the 323 flasher and the 552 flasher. Still no signal lights. So were can I find a new turn signal switch that I need. And what kind of steering wheel puller do I need. My dad says he has a few. But doesn’t know if he has the kind i need.

You need one that will screw into the holes on the wheel. It's really easy. If you have an airbag I'm assuming you will have to remove the bag and the clockspring. DON'T fuck up the alignment of the clockspring, or you'll break it and it'll have to be replaced for the bag to ever work again.

So i dont need the turn signal stock do i? what part do i need? And were can i find a wheel puller? and if the switch cost to much, Could i use the one out of my grand prix?. Does anyone (kenny) have a used one that works? For teh cheap? Im trying to put this car on the road and this is all it needs.