saginaw column key cylinder substitution.

Crazy K

thats right, I'm talking about the passkey equipped cars.

assuming I bypass the pellet in the anti theft system, can a key cylinder from any other make or model be substituted in order to have a cheap key for the car? perhaps the type of key cylinder used in A bodies from 82-96???

Shouldn't be an issue, assuming the ignition harness is the same.

ken as matt:

sounds like you confused the ignition swtich with a key cylinder!!!!

let me clarify: the issue being asked is whether anyone has compared the passkey key cylinder to normal key cylinders in an effort to replace the pass key cylinder with a cheap alternative.

This is only dealing with the lock cylinder itself, and whether another lock cylinder could be interchanged.

Assume that the passkey chip has had a resistor bypass installed, negating the need for a resistor pellet key.

Ahh... the cylinder itself. I know it has the reader on the cylinder, making it a bit larger than the non-passkey cylinders. It may physically fit, but who knows if it will actually lock into place.

just get a key cut without the pellet!

x2.. find the resistor value of your particular system, solder a resistor into place, and then just get a regular key cut. Just tell the douche at WAL*MART to cut the key or you'll tell his boss he's blazing up behind the building.