Need opinions - What's it worth now?

red95cutlass

Here has been the pride of my life for the past 10 years. I was driving to work yesterday and the transmission wont go into 2nd gear. I took it to AAMCO and they said that the vacuum, electrical and fluid are all good. They got no error codes on it either. The guy said that they had to crack it open to see what the problem is and that would cost me 1600 bucks. I am at a time of my life that I just can't take care of this anymore. I will be buying a new car on Saturday. Is there anyone interested in a 96 olds cutlass supreme with 157,000 miles and a bad transmission? Its got a good stereo in it. Sony CD head unit, Sony sound processor, 1 4ch pheonix gold amps pumping 75watts to the four corners running Infinity Kappas and 1 phoenix gold pumping 200 watts to a 10 inch JL sub. It does not have the bra on it anymore so it is naked. Its got some newer BFgoodrich's on it. A/C just went out on her too. Tell me what you think it is worth or if I should just donate it.

Thanks.

DSide.jpg

front.jpg

Dside3.jpg

Dside2.jpg

Dash.jpg

Dash2.jpg

Stereo.jpg

Trunk.jpg

BackSeat2.jpg

Thanks alot guys!!

Is that a Mobile ES deck???!!! That stereo system setup sounds pretty nice. Pheonix Gold makes some decent quality amps, and from the looks of the deck, I think you definately spent some cash on the system.

Car looks good man, sucks to hear about it. I bet you can get your money's worth out of it, bad tranny or not.

It IS a Sony ES deck and processor. You obviously know quality when you see it. These are GREAT systems. Phoenix Gold make awesome amplifiers. I am not sure if I am getting rid of all of the stereo stuff yet. Yeah I got about 3K into the stereo alone. With the hidden compartment, nobody used to know about it either. I have all of the instruction books for all of the electronics for the new owner if it goes.

It IS a Sony ES deck and processor. You obviously know quality when you see it. These are GREAT systems. Phoenix Gold make awesome amplifiers. I am not sure if I am getting rid of all of the stereo stuff yet. Yeah I got about 3K into the stereo alone. With the hidden compartment, nobody used to know about it either. I have all of the instruction books for all of the electronics for the new owner if it goes.

Yeah, the ES decks were, and still are pretty kick ass. Pretty hard to find nowadays, and even harder to find with a working processor. Phoenix Gold's quality has dropped slightly, but still makes great stuff.

Have you considered purchasing a good used transaxle from one of the auto recyclers in the Atlanta area? http://www.car-part.com will show you plenty of them available in that area. If you went that route & had a shop swap it out for you, it would be a lot cheaper than a rebuild if you do decide to keep the car.

I would at least take it to a few more places to get quotes for the repair. AAMCO's first response to anything is "It needs to be rebuilt". I took mine to AAMCO one time and got the "It needs to be rebuilt". Took to another shop and they said it was the torque converter lock up solenoid without even looking at it, they were right, cost me $175.00. Seems like those trannys have a solenoid for everything, that may be all that is wrong with it.

If you do take it somewhere else dont tell them upfront you went to AAMCO or what they quoted you, some shops will just go off of another shops diagnosis. You might tell them after they give you a quote but dont tell them upfront.

Does it skip 2nd and go into 3rd or is it limited to 1st gear only? Does it have reverse?

That's in real nice shape. If it were me, even paying someone to swap the trans is still cheaper than a new car. Provided the rest of the car is solid, which it seems.

thanks for all of your input. This is the second trans I had put on the car. The first one was replaced at 80K and now this one ay 157. That puts me at about 80k for extensive trans service. I thought I should get alot more out of a trans - 100-150K. It will not shift into second going uphill. I have reverse working. I thought it was the modulator and installed another one with no luck.

I am not sharing another valuable detail. The wife says we need a 4 door.

I would love to keep her because i know all the work i have put in over the years. And the sound system is great. We'll have to see what happens this weekend to see the outcome of this. I appreciate all of your input and it is making me want to get it fixed. Plus it's PAID FOR!!

I am happy to report that I am going to get her fixed so we can buy a car later in the year! Whoo Hoo! I will finish up with the price it will be to get the trans fixed.

Thanks