Steering wheel Removal Dimmer SWITCH ACTUATOR replacement

shadow

Is it easy to remove a steering wheel from my car. I see some weird looking clip but it does not look easy to put back on? The dimmer SWITCH ACTUATOR has gone bad in my car and they wont pass it for inspection because of this. Dealer wants 142.00 for the party but gm parts direct has it for 84 bucks. Has anyone got any tips for me? My temp tags expire next month some time. Thanks

Chris

OH!

no steering wheel removal is necessary.

the switch is on top of the column, about 2/3 of the way down. you must "drop" the column to gain access.

you need to remove the "under the dash" black panel and the piece of the kickpad beneath the column.

next pull the 4 bolts that hold the column to the car, but NOT the joint at the base of the column, (ie the steering shaft itself).

lower the column, the steering wheel will rest on the seat. place a rag if you think protecting the set is needed, especially with leather.

the switch is on the top towards the drivers side. you will see a rod going to the switch.

now... WHAT IS THE PROBLEM YOU HAVE?

high and lows both stuck on?

or

no toggling between high and low?

or????

OH!

no steering wheel removal is necessary.

the switch is on top of the column, about 2/3 of the way down. you must "drop" the column to gain access.

you need to remove the "under the dash" black panel and the piece of the kickpad beneath the column.

next pull the 4 bolts that hold the column to the car, but NOT the joint at the base of the column, (ie the steering shaft itself).

lower the column, the steering wheel will rest on the seat. place a rag if you think protecting the set is needed, especially with leather.

the switch is on the top towards the drivers side. you will see a rod going to the switch.

now... WHAT IS THE PROBLEM YOU HAVE?

high and lows both stuck on?

or

no toggling between high and low?

or????

Yeah no toggling between high and low. If I manually press the switch and the rod below the lights toggle between high and low but DMV says thats not acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

ah! the issue is that your switch is out of adjustment. follow the step above, and drop the column, you will see how it bolts down and be able to adjust it.

I dropped the column that best I could but the metal collar on the steering column does not budge one bit? This is the metal collar that the ignition keyhole is in. From what I can see the the dimmer switch cap that the dimmer switch rod goes into is damaged. Is there any way to move that steel collar down or is it connected somehow to the column permanently? The switch itself works fine btw. Thanks

Chris

ok... I am looking at a column right now, the base of the rod goes into the "clicker" on the dimmer switch itself, and the top has a plastic piece attached, which is where the lever coantact it.

that top p[lastic piece is what you say is bad?

ok... I am looking at a column right now, the base of the rod goes into the "clicker" on the dimmer switch itself, and the top has a plastic piece attached, which is where the lever coantact it.

that top p[lastic piece is what you say is bad?

Yes that6 plastic piece is bad. I would like to examine it better but I cant get to it. The metal collar that its in wont slide down at all?

no.

close examination reveals that that part MUST be removed by removal of the steering wheel.

you can rent a puller from AZ or advanced etc etc.

one that is off, you must remove the cover, and pull lose the turn signal and stuff... and remove the retention spring for the tilt feature.

here's the problem. the upper part of the column must be separated from the lower portion, and those parts are held together with pins that are knocked in place. the pins are threaded, and I have successfully pulled them with either 1)a slidehammer with a number 10 STAINLESS STEEL screw, or 2) a number 10 STAINLESS STEEL screw threaded thought a washer and a large nut.

I have the part you need, if you are interest in rebuilding.

Thanks man, Do you think the dealer could do this for a reasonable price E.G. $300.00 etc. or will it cost more than double that? I am just not too comfortable removing the steering wheel myself. I hat going the dealer route but I cant get the car passed by the DMV until I get this fixed.

Chris

LOL a dealer could. I don't know what it would cost. but fixing the column is child's play to me. :rolleyes:

Yeah let me think about it a bit more. Do I need a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel if I do gather up the nerve to attempt the repair myself?