My New W-Body!

Cutlasskid_48

Hey guyz... I'm new here and I just got my W-Body this past week! It's a '89 Cutlass Supreme. 2.8L V6 Automatic. I got it for $500 because it needs a new tranny... 1st and 2nd gear work but 3rd doesnt. I will post some pics tomorrow! Where should I start with mods?! Thanx in advance guys!! :D :twisted:

i'd start with getting your tranny fixed, lol.

but seriously, i's get a new memcal, 180 stat, K&N, shift kit, and soem STB's both front and rear. that's a good start for most people.

mods? get some neonz and a wing yo.

IMO whever you want to 'mod' a car always start with a FULL tune up. Then i/h/e. then move up to things like tires&wheels, suspension, valve train, TB, computer etc. Mod the hell out of the engine.

and after your 2.8 is blazingly fast. get a nice paint job and some window tint. Sleek and smooth is always good.

Wouldn't the '96 have an electronically controlled transmission, while the '89 does not?

I had the (4 speed) transmission completely rebuilt in mine. The total bill came to something like $1500. The mechanic at the transmission shop said that the non-electronically contolled one was used up till '92 (I think that was the year). I couldn't find a low mileage one in the junk yards since they were all over 10 years old.

Hey guyz... I'm new here and I just got my W-Body this past week! It's a '89 Cutlass Supreme. 2.8L V6 Automatic. I got it for $500 because it needs a new tranny... 1st and 2nd gear work but 3rd doesnt. I will post some pics tomorrow! Where should I start with mods?! Thanx in advance guys!! :D :twisted:

Welcome aboard! Hope you have fun with your new W-Body.

Like Shock and Panopticon stated, get the car running to par first.

Besides the transmission replaced (with a stock year / model), change out all fluids, plugs / wires, etc.

You DO want a baseline to start off at reguardless of what the previous owner has told you.

I've see more cars with neglected service getting them into trouble than anything else in automotive.

From there, again, like ShockTherapy2R list, that's a good start.

It's a small list with a bit of everything: power, handling, & reliability.

Wish you the best and glad you've signed on. Best of luck on your new car!

- Erik

Welcome man!! I think everyone has left good suggestions to start off with, I just wanted to say welcome!!

Now, Brian, or anyone that knows, is there a common problem that makes 3rd gear not work?? Like are the clutch packs weak or something. Just wondering when my 3rd gear is gonna go on me :lol:

Robby

Likewise.... :shock: I classify third as my "fun" gear out on the highway.

When that happens, what are the symptoms like? does the car shift from second to fourth?? :think:

I dont think it's common, seriously. I know a common thing is to lose the 1-2 shift due to running the trans dry or extremely low on fluid. It basically is like this on mine. 1-2 shift is great, 2-3 is just like a big slip and 3rd never FULLY engages. you can keep a constant speed but god forbid if you want to go 1 mph faster or hit a hill, the engine will just rev. Yet 4th gear works just fine. if you keep in in "2" until 45mph then put it into OD it will go right into 4th, so it IS driveable. you can even go back to 2 to pass someone.

Also the trans has always occasionally shipped the 2-3 shift just a little. So to get 184k+ out of it was still pretty damn good. Many Ford/Chrysler trannys won't take that kind of mileage even if it's been maintained properly its entire life!

Okay, I knew of the 1-2 going out and even have heard of 4th going out, its really weak and many top speed runs will kill it. But you are right, 184K is a lot of miles for a FWD auto tranny.

Robby

on those trannys there is the 1-2 drum then the reverse drive OD drum 3 can go out along with reverse. but they use different clutch packs to grip and go. OD uses the reverse clutch packs when the OD band is ingaged. so you can have 1-2 with no reverse or OD or 3-4 OD with no 1-2 if you can get it to go with out 1-2