How do i lower my 1996 buick regal with the dynaride option?

regalguy1996

so i got a 96 regal in which im planning to convert to an l67 car but i was wondering how can i lower my car or at least get a better suspension with adjustable struts? can i convert the rear end into like maybe a newer grand prix rear end or what? i need help with this one

the only thing i can think of is to look in a junkyard for another regal of the same year without the dynaride, unless all regals came that way, and use the rear end from that.

Call me crazy, but I'd start by looking at the sticky "how to lower a w-body...." in the suspension section

Even that thread might not help him if he has "dynaride".

I'm not familiar with the system at all, but you may want to try and get under your car and under a car that does not have that option and see how they differ. The only way to find out if the normal suspension will fit under there may be to try it.

Pending that they are similar enough that it is possible...

If you want to go to coil overs (as adjustable as your going to get) here is what you will need...

First Gen (1988-1996) W-body rear sub frame

Lateral links (available after market, Held or BMR, I have Held)

Control arms (available after market, Held, BMR or GMPP, I have Held)

Struts (Strongly recommend KYB GR2s)

Coil over kits (available after market, Held)

If you want to using a lowering mono leaf you will need all of the above, minus the coil over kits obviously, and you would also need your strut mounts and the mono leaf. However this will be non-adjustable.

Once you have determined that this CAN be done, check out the lowering thread like Jeremy suggested.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=55751.0

If you want to go with coil overs, you can check out my 13 page project thread. I have coil overs front and rear.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,61157.0.html

All the parts I used are listed there, if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask. More and more people are starting to install these kits onto their cars and I have no problem helping people out with their installs where I can.

Jamie

Thanks a lot guys, all of your suggestions are very helping, i did read the thread about how to lower a 1st gen and i found the stuff i needed to know. The only question i have now is where can i buy performance lower control arms???

You mean the control arms for the front? Those are still in the development stages.

If your talking rear, then you mean the lateral links (go from the center of the car to the hubs, 2 per side) or the trailing arms (go forward from the hub to the body)

Jamie

Its like an air shock system. Gives the car a really nice smooth ride....until the system invariably takes a shit. Ever see a 90s era buick, caddy or lincoln with the rear end damn near touching the ground?? Thats what happens when the air shocks give out. Happened on my buddys 96 towncar, the damn thing would bottom out on EVERY bump. Its been sittin at his moms house for like 2 years cuz he got quoted like 2k to get it fixed.

My 87 Buick has like the original dynaride, it has some sort of a compressor pump uder the hood but it doesnt work anymore. My rear struts were all rotted out, luckily the non dynaride ones fit. I imagine your car would be the same way.

Dynaride is a marketing gimmick that every Buick got.

Not every Buick had airshocks. I know Regals never got it. I can only think that maybe roadmasters and riveria's that would've got it.

Most Cadillacs didn't have a air shock set up either.

lol there is a few caddys around here that scrape the ground in the rear lol. dead giveaway. But when it works it works great. My caddy has it and it is really smooth