anyone know how to hook up a shift light?

Drummer

just screwing with my GP, and was wondering if there was any way to hook up a shift light since i don't have one and would like to have one since it's now a 5 speed. Would the cluster already have a light for it, or would i have to get one from a 5 speed? Yes it was originally an auto.

88-93s have a shift up arrow for when ur cruising in a certain gear but you have enough "room" to bump it up another one to save gas. maybe you could turn that into a shift light

88-93s have a shift up arrow for when ur cruising in a certain gear but you have enough "room" to bump it up another one to save gas. maybe you could turn that into a shift light

Uh.. isn't that what it's there for? lol Mine has the arrow, I've seen it in the backplate, its just inactive due to an auto tranny.

Its current purpose is to tell you when to shift at a low RPM for fuel economy.

He wants a light to help show him when to shift at high RPM. Was suggesting he transformed it to work for that purpose.

yeah i wanna hook up a shift light(up arrow) I'm just used to having a shift light that lights up "shift" with my Z34. Sorry if i confused anyone again lol

A wire comes from pin B7 on the ECM and goes to the cluster, but I'm not sure what pin, it's D3 on a Cutlass. Tan/Black wire.

would anyone happen to have those pinouts or tell me where it is? I have the manual engine harness, so i would just have to connect it through the firewall, but how would i get to the plug on the firewall?

i like it if im driving a car im not familiar with. I like to cruise in 5th borderline bogging around town, and that shift light sure helps figure out the perfect rpm. after a lil while you figure out the lowest cruising rpm in every gear and remember what it is.

i like it if im driving a car im not familiar with. I like to cruise in 5th borderline bogging around town, and that shift light sure helps figure out the perfect rpm. after a lil while you figure out the lowest cruising rpm in every gear and remember what it is.

QFT

When I did my 5 speed swap all i did was snap a bulb into my cluster and the upshift lamp works just as it is supposed to!

And the interior wiring harness was from the automatic? That'd be great if thats all i have to do.

I didn't change anything on my interior harness, and I used the entire 5 speed engine harness. when I was putting the car back together all I did was take a spare lamp and put it in the cluster and it works fine.

may be different for the grand prix, what engine/trans do you have? the 284 and 282 stuff seem to be VERY different