I WANT TO LEARN!

Addicted to eaton

Ok. So my car has 143,000 on it. She has been threw a motor and now a transmission. I really was planning on Putting a l67 in my car this summer. As long as paint, B4u and leather. I'm not so sure if I really want to do that any more. My car always makes a clunking noise if I turn left really sharp with any speed. It seems like my back drives side is lower than my passenger side. I just want to know 13 years have passed on my car. What kind of suspension stuff do you think needs done. Even better yet What do we have as a suspension.

I'm a car guy, People tell me I should be a mechanic. There stupid. I simply don’t know shit about cars. I can tell you Nissan titans came with a DOHC 5.6L v8, or a Silverado came with a 5.3L v8 vortec or the 4.8L. I can tell you w-bodies have a 2.8/3.1 in 1988-1990? And 1991-1993 they have a 3.4 DOHC or a 3.1 and in 1994-1996 they had a 3100v6 or a 3.4 but numbers don’t impress me much.

When I say “I switched the motor in my car†what I mean is. My dad switched the motor in my car. I would love to learn. But How? I ask my dad to teach he kind of laughs at me. I was thinking if I tore down my 3100 V6 I think it could teach me a thing or two. Right now its no use to any one. If I tore it down to see how it works and maybe re build it I think It would be fun. I would love to know how to do stuff like that. I want to be that kind of person but I just can’t. so I ask this:

how did you learn to pull a motor and re build it blah blah blah.

How did you learn what makes our car’s go round?

Got any advice for me? the 3800 I have knocks like shit. So I want to re build it.

My car always makes a clunking noise if I turn left really sharp with any speed

Have you checked your CV axles? That's usually a great sign that they are bad, if it goes clunk-clunk-clunk when you turn a corner.

It seems like my back drives side is lower than my passenger side.

There is an ongoing discussion on that issue in another thread about rear end noise in the suspension. If you've replaced both rear struts(iirc they are struts) and you still have a lean to one side (like my car), it is most likely your monoleaf perch pads are worn out/gone. They are cheap to replace, and will help level out the rear end of your car. Also, a cracked monoleaf would probably add to that a bit. Just IMHO, don't quote me on that last bit though.

As far as what you will have to replace to make the car totally sound... Just ask anyone around here driving one. Front suspension, rear suspension, most of the front end... thats just the start. But they are WORTH it if you really like the car. Just know that it's not going to be just one part. When one part breaks, thats just the beginning of a chain. Lifetime warranty FTW.

I'm a car guy, People tell me I should be a mechanic. There stupid. I simply dont know shit about cars. I can tell you Nissan titans came with a DOHC 5.6L v8, or a Silverado came with a 5.3L v8 vortec or the 4.8L. I can tell you w-bodies have a 2.8/3.1 in 1988-1990? And 1991-1993 they have a 3.4 DOHC or a 3.1 and in 1994-1996 they had a 3100v6 or a 3.4 but numbers dont impress me much.

I'm the same. I know firing orders, internal processes, valvetrain, motor numbers/hp that come out of said motors, and a lot of the options on a lot of cars. But I'm not a mechanic, I'm nowhere near being one. But, I've learned a tremendous amount about cars since I started posting here about three years ago. (BTW Thankyou to all of you who have answered my questions over the years, it's been a HUGE and unforgettable learning curve.)

When I say I switched the motor in my car what I mean is. My dad switched the motor in my car.

Ditto. When I say "i swapped the motor" in my car, that means I paid someone to do it. :lol: Don't feel bad, at least you are asking questions and trying to do the stuff on your own that you can!

I would love to learn. But How? I ask my dad to teach he kind of laughs at me. I was thinking if I tore down my 3100 V6 I think it could teach me a thing or two. Right now its no use to any one. If I tore it down to see how it works and maybe re build it I think It would be fun. I would love to know how to do stuff like that. I want to be that kind of person but I just cant.

My dad laughed at me too. He was insulted that I wanted to help him change the valve cover gaskets on my last car. But he let me.. and now, I'm better with cars than he is.. especially this one i have now. He's said it was one problem, I told him another, and I was right. And it drives him nuts, but I've learned a LOT just from being here and reading about the cars, what they do, symptoms of certain problems, etc.

If that motor is absolutely NO good, then YES! That is going to be the best way to learn. Believe me, if I had a garage to work in, the tools and whatnot to do it, and a different car to drive daily, my GP would be in there right now. Hands-on is always your best way to really learn something. When you tear everything apart, label it, keep these bolts and those bolts separate. Have a block of wood with cylinders marked on it and holes drilled into it so you can rememeber which valve goes where. Mark EVERYTHING the way it comes out, etc.

I didn't think I could do it either when we had to rebuild a lawn mower engine in my small gas engines class, the prerequisite for auto mechanics. I know, I know, it's just a one cylinder little motor. BUT, it's still an internal combustion engine that requires air, fuel, and spark to run. You get your basics right there. Then, after I got it all put back together, and I pulled the cord, it fired RIGHT up. I was so happy, so proud.

so I ask this:

how did you learn to pull a motor and re build it blah blah blah.

How did you learn what makes our cars go round?

I haven't learned to rebuild an auto engine, but I described above what I'd done to rebuild an engine period. They are all really the same when it comes to the processes, how the stuff works. It's just different looking equipment that functions a bit differently and goes in a different place. IMHO, lol. Buy a service manual for that motor and just tear into it, provided you have the resources. You have to start learning somewhere, right?

Gas makes our cars go round Anthony, it's as simple as that. The same thing that makes all the other internal combustion machines go. :) Oh yeah, and we do. But as far as the little quirks, the quick fixes, the common problems...

That all comes from experience I imagine.

As far as learning goes... I think I picked a great car to learn on! And a great place to come with my questions. :) There is a lot of information to be had here. Believe me, when I first bought my GP, I didn't know much about working on CARS. I could change the oil, I knew about spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, etc. The light stuff. I've chased down computer codes, found what was wrong in the wires, fixed it on my own. Changed out a starter, an ignition pack, multiple alternators... All light stuff too, but I never would have dreamed I'd be doing it LOL.

It's all about a learning curve. Stick around, and if you have the resources to do so, learn hands on. Like I said earlier, that's always the BEST way to learn anything.

Got any advice for me? the 3800 I have knocks like shit. So I want to re build it.

Then rebuild it. Even if nothing else, tear it apart and find out WHY it's knocking. If it's salvageable, fix it. If not, at least you know how to tear one down. :lol: Best place to start.

Now, this post is long enough, I need to go to bed. :D

Have you checked your CV axles? That's usually a great sign that they are bad, if it goes clunk-clunk-clunk when you turn a corner.

See whats CV axles? thats the best way to learn i just feel i shuld know it.

See whats CV axles? thats the best way to learn i just feel i shuld know it.

The front end has a lot of pieces.

First you have your ball joints that are at the very bottom (at least on my GP, it only has lowers.) Attached to the wheel, controlling your steering, are tie rods. There's actually only ONE tie rod on each side. There's an inner part that's a long rod-ish thing that goes into the power steering rack, and then an OUTER tie rod, which is basically the knuckle that moves and is attached to your steering at the wheels.

Axles are what drive the car. I'm not certain on this, but I think that "CV" refers to front wheel drive-train axles. Like I said, NOT SURE.

What I DO know is that the CV axle connects to your transmission, and the inside of your wheel, like the hub if i"m not mistaken. Basically this is the part that transfers the power from the tranny to your wheels. It should be coming about straight out, and have a big rubber boot on it. Generally, a clunking on turns denotes that it's going bad. But if you haven't done anything to the front end, there could be a lot more to it.

Could be. But if it's only coming when you turn one direction sharply, it's probably just that one side.

I could be wrong though. Push the car down a hill in neutral and turn a corner and see if it still does it. :lol:

If I push my car down any hill. Chances are there will be a lake, pond Or some sort of body of water at the bottom and I'm not going to be going and getting it out.

"CV" Stands for Constant Velosity. So they are Constant velosity joints. That way you can roll and turn your car at the same time. :mrgreen: But as evilette said, They are inside the 'boot' which is a black bellow shaped cover. If this boot is torn, you could very likely have a bad cv joint, because these boots are filled with grease. If dirt and crap starts to replace grease because of a tear in the boot, your going to end up with a bad cv.

Exactly what slick said you learn by doing it even if that means you mess it up worse than it already was but you learn what to do and what not to do.

Exactly what slick said you learn by doing it even if that means you mess it up worse than it already was but you learn what to do and what not to do.

Exactly, I have broke many a car part while fixing something else... lol

• 2 years later...

this is a bump for kingvee, i just found this.. i was just like you at one time. this forum changed that. when i needed help, there was always someone here to help me along the way and teach me.