j_mezz

Having trouble getting my horn to work in my 92 cutlass (hasn't worked since I got the car). I checked the switch with an ohmmeter, swapped a known good relay in, checked the fuse, and swapped both horns with ones from spare parts. I see a loose red wire hanging off my battery terminal but don't see anyplace to plug it in. Could that be the horn feed? where should it go? My 94 looks different and my other 'models' are too far away to go check...

that red wire is the fuel pump test wire. The horns are behind the bumper on the left and right side. it is probebly a button issue, when you hit the button does anything happen?

Nothing happens when I hit the button. But I did check it with an ohmmeter, the horn button mechanism is working fine. I connected the horn directly to the battery and it did sound. On my car the horns are behind the battery - pretty much of a pain in the butt to get to.

they can be accessed through the underside easy behind the bumper. There is one on the driver side and one on the passenger side. Sounds like a broken wire to me if the button, fuse and relay have been ruled out. Check the fuse box to make sure there is a good connection also

They are both located on the driver's side. There may be 2 of them. The problem is likely due to the horn being disconnected. The pads in the steering wheel wear out (horn sounds at random, or consistently) and the previous owner may have "solved" the problem.

My 94 horn switch went bad, probably from hitting it too many times. After having it go off many times at the most inconvenient times (once while I was pulled over :lol:), I pulled the fuse under the hood labled "horn" but an unexpected side effect was that the underhood light was on the same fuse :rolleyes: IIRC 92's had the fuse center over on the pass side by the coolant resivoir, but it might have the same small 15 amp fuse.

I accidentally unplugged one of my horns once. My car already has a wimpy sounding horn, but missing the lower pitched one was hilarious.

Good luck finding fixing it!

thats weird my 94 has one on either side of the fenders. The one on the passenger side was really rotted though which was the main horn and when i replaced it it worked like new