282 axle info (was ntnl jy watch)

ismellrealbad

See the problem is im anal. I cant stand for the ABS light to be on all the time. I know that

1)I can just pull the bulb or

2)ignore it or

3)realize that the fuckin shittier 88-93 booster I had to put on probably won't even let me lock the wheels anyways...

...but I just like to do things the right way sometimes. Plus The axle I currently have has a ton of wear and play and i feel its going to fall apart real soon anyways, so if im going to replace it why not replace it with an ABS one? Well....IF I CAN EVER FIND IT!! :cussing:

I understand. I just HATE GM vacuum first-gen ABS and I'd use any reason to get rid of it. My '97 Sunfire with cheap-ass 75 series tires stops better in snow than my W-body with 60 series tires does.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to napa today to try to pick up the correct axle since my motor is coming home tomorrow! I was successful in finding it and at the same time I made a discovery. The p/n jay gave for the d/s axle is correct. however they have them categorized backwards. d/s is listed as p/s and vice versa. What I found out was even more important, well at least for me. The inners on their replacement axles are 1 - 1 1/2" smaller in dia than stock or other replacements. The reason being is the outside of the inner is round as apposed to having 3 large ridges. I will post pics later tonight of what im talking about and why its important for me.

On another note, has anyone found any 282 parts cars for sale or in yards?????? anyone??

FYI rockauto.com sent me god knows what for a passenger side axle but it sure is not correct.

what's the napa or other number for passenger without ABS again?

Pics r not gunna be up for a while. Too much to do n the image hosting site I used went down of course. I am 99% sure the axle I got from napa will work.

I dont remember the pn for the p/s. If you are trying to get a p/s 282 axle they should be had at any advance or autozone. From napa I believe any first gen d/s axle auto or manual will result in you getting a p/s one that fits a 282. Damnnit i should have measured their lengths while i had it out. I will do it next time im there

Advance and Rock Auto list the same Cardone part numbers for passenger side, so either they are shooting out presumably a J or N body axle(the one i got has the smaller diameter but longer splined end to the hub and has the wrong end to fit the extension shaft) or Cardone put the wrong axle in the box that i received.

I'll have advance order me one up and see what happens.

here are the pics

napa d/s compared to my stock non-abs which is worn as hell

img0228le5.jpg

both d/s's next to my advance passenger side

img0230ra8.jpg

od of napa inner

newmeasurepd6.jpg

highly innacurate measure of advance p/s inner. its prolly another .5" more. my stock d/s measured the same. the napa p/s (which i havent baught but I am going to because of this discovery) is yet .5 less in od then the napa d/s

newmeasurepsbh2.jpg

My issue. This is the setup that caused all of my headache. I now have an entirely new one that works, but i still have the same clearance issue. the napa axle should solve it altogether :smile: I will also be making my own much better intermediate shaft bracket than that one I threw together half assed

img1191ks7.jpg

more pics to come