282 axle info (was ntnl jy watch)

ismellrealbad

I'm getting oh so close to picking up a new motor, meaning I'm getting less time to do stuff while there’s not one in the car. Jay was kind enough to venture a potential place with lots of 282's and there were none left. I'm asking all you to pitch in and do the same thing!!!

If you know of a yard near you with 282 setups, or just haven't been to your place in a while, please go back and look and pull me some parts! :mrgreen:

What I need in order of importantness (I don’t know if that’s a word)

-lateral linkage in excellent shape

-d/s axle with abs ring

-trans mount (I have one but feel comfortable with a backup, plus its super easy to get)

-anything else manual related you may find

If you are within 4 hours of NJ I will come do everything myself and I will still throw in a finders fee. If not pull and ship it for me and make me whatever offer you feel reasonable for you expenses, time, and effort. TIA

Lateral linkage?

Good luck finding an axle with an ABS ring.. I had to hack up a couple of axles to get my 282 with ABS rings.

Fairly sure the only mounts available are through VPI, I don't know of any aftermarket ones. Axles are the wrong ones at least 50% of the time. Autozone had accidently ordered passenger side axles for me, same autozone part number. They came in, each from a different manufacturer. Well, both were W axles, but they were definitely not the same. One ended up being right, I can't remember what the other one was, probably an automatic axle. A previous attempt to order one from there brought back a J-body passenger axle (that one at least said so on the box, but the part number in the computer was wrong).

Fairly sure the only mounts available are through VPI, I don't know of any aftermarket ones. Axles are the wrong ones at least 50% of the time. Autozone had accidently ordered passenger side axles for me, same autozone part number. They came in, each from a different manufacturer. Well, both were W axles, but they were definitely not the same. One ended up being right, I can't remember what the other one was, probably an automatic axle. A previous attempt to order one from there brought back a J-body passenger axle (that one at least said so on the box, but the part number in the computer was wrong).

lateral (side to side) shift linkage.

So 500% right about the axles.....I went to both autozone and aap and everytime they ordered it, I got the fucken passenger side. Twice from both places. WTF???? Im gunna try pepboys but im sure the same bullshit will happen. None of the ones from car-part.com have ABS and car-part doesnt have a linkage or trans mount category. They really need to expand the categories a little further.

That's too bad. I would never put used CV shafts and trans/engine mounts on a car, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

I bought a replacement mount for the CS when I had it. I found a dealer that had it and new it would never sell, so he sold it for the same price that VPI wanted for it.

C'mon everyone. I know the midwest is flooded with these goddamn things. Somone has to know of a yard with something. And if not its the weekend you all should have a lil time. Please go look. :biggrin:

We carry them. Next time Im at work Ill see if I have any in stock.

Thanks Jay, PMd.

je?

what?? lol

That's too bad. I would never put used CV shafts and trans/engine mounts on a car, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

I bought a replacement mount for the CS when I had it. I found a dealer that had it and new it would never sell, so he sold it for the same price that VPI wanted for it.

What'd you pay?

Go to http://www.napaonline.com

We carry them. Next time Im at work Ill see if I have any in stock.

I should mention I had the same problems at NAPA as well.

I hate to say it, but not everybody that works in these places are very smart about certain cars... especially these ones. ( Not saying Im very smart with these cars cause Im not )

But like I said, Ill see what I can find out Monday.

No it had nothing to do with the counter help, I looked at the screen and the listings were all right :willynilly: I know some of them are not the brightest crayons in the box but this is a supplier/interchange listing issue. Not to mention it doesn't help when people return the wrong cores too :rolleyes:

i got my trans mount from pep boys i think....way better to go new than some old junkyard one that is prob shot anyway. as far as axles, i've always had good luck with small local parts shops. i just replaced one last fall and had no problems with fitment

No it had nothing to do with the counter help, I looked at the screen and the listings were all right :willynilly: I know some of them are not the brightest crayons in the box but this is a supplier/listing. Not to mention it doesn't help when people return the wrong cores too :rolleyes:

yup everytime theyd show me the screen and the different p/n's. my "local" parts store would be carquest.

Guys, take a look at napa part numner 94-9027. Its a brand new cv shaft, so no one can return the wrong core. I believe that is what you guys are looking for, for the passenger axle with ABS

I had listing on ABS and non-ABS and I can get all of them. So I dont think its really harder nor easier to get either one really. But I guess that could depend on time of getting them though.

I had listing on ABS and non-ABS and I can get all of them. So I dont think its really harder nor easier to get either one really. But I guess that could depend on time of getting them though.

I was wondering. Nobody here can seem to find ABS 282 axles and I wondered if maybe non ABS 282 axles were easier to get.

I was wondering. Nobody here can seem to find ABS 282 axles and I wondered if maybe non ABS 282 axles were easier to get.

I dont think its so much the ABS than it is the style of the ends with ABS ya know?

I dont think its so much the ABS than it is the style of the ends with ABS ya know?

No, I've never had to change out a W-body CV shaft. They're pretty strong for the power these cars make.

I'd just use a non-ABS axle, unless they won't fit with an ABS wheel bearing or something like that. Even then, I'd swap to non-ABS bearings or whatever.

See the problem is im anal. I cant stand for the ABS light to be on all the time. I know that

1)I can just pull the bulb or

2)ignore it or

3)realize that the fuckin shittier 88-93 booster I had to put on probably won't even let me lock the wheels anyways...

...but I just like to do things the right way sometimes. Plus The axle I currently have has a ton of wear and play and i feel its going to fall apart real soon anyways, so if im going to replace it why not replace it with an ABS one? Well....IF I CAN EVER FIND IT!! :cussing: