More handle troubles...

Wils

I was cheap and got a new handle for my 92 gp se coupe off of ebay. I put it on (drivers side) and with the lock still unlocked, open and closed the door with no problems. So assuming it was correct, I shut the door and locked it. Then it happened, cant open the door at all from inside or outside. I dont think any rods came undone, I think the door is staying locked cause the lock rod isnt being pushed enough?. I pulled the door panel back and pushed on the rods but nothing seems to work. What exactly is it you do inside the door that will make it open?

Oh man has this happend to me. Go the the passangers side and press the unlock butten abotu 10-20 times Over and over on unlock.. then keep trying it shudul evently come open with the inside hanel

Yes, the lock rod has malfunctioned. Once you finally get the door open, which may require you pulling the door panel off while the door is closed, you can fix it either one of two ways:

1: Adjust the little adjustment screw on the lock rod at the door lock, or

2: Rebend it back into proper shape.

there is a problem on 2 door cars.

if there is too much tension on the adjuster for the handle, the mechanism will bind when lock and unlocked.

first. I always stretch the rods out, as a bent rod will bend faster than a straightened rod.

I always operate all the mechanism without closing the door, so I will have full access to the linkages in the door. I will flip the catch closed and test it including locking and unlocking the door several times, and seeing if the latch releases each time.

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

you need to disconnect the linkages in side the door from the mechanism to relieve the binding that has occured, you might be able to push up on the rod coming from the door handle (not the lock rod) and then unlocking the doors. you door should open. once open, do what I said above. cycle cycle cycle with the door open till you know it is good.

on several of my cars... I have added a nylon string tied to the mechanism, hooked to the lever that actuated by the exterior handle, and it goes down and out one of the weep holes in the door. Next time the handle breaks... I can use the string to open the door. otherwise, the string is tucked into the rubber on the bottom of the door and is invisble from the outside, unless pulled out.

Brilliant idea, Crazy K.

I just adjust mine about once a month and don't really have problems with my handles messing up anymore.

Though I will say, my exterior on the passenger side doesn't work. Yes, it was changed out with handles. The clip that holds the lock actuator to the rod got knocked off by the positioning of the rod for the latch release on the door handle.. and i just said screw it, and got keyless entry. :lol:

Fit and operation issues seem to be a chronic problem with those cheap off-shore handles.

I'm a victim of them too. These parts are awfully inviting because of the price and the pricey OEM handles don't last any longer than the cheapy ones.