Secondary Fan not working-WHYY????

dohc v6

This is on my brothers 92 5 speed. Here is whats going on. The drivers side fan(primary) is doing everything. We have bought a new fan put it in and it still did not work. We know its not working becasue when it gets to temp and the primary comes on, he click the A/C on and the other fan does nothing. I have put 12V to it and it does turn on. I have also grounded the relay and it will come on as well. I also Have switched the relays with the primary and secondary and the primary still works and the primary turns on but the secondary does not. Just wondering if anyone has any clues. The inside door locks also do not work as well. WE can hear the relay clicking under the dash but they dont work. We have aslo replaced the doorlocks and the relay underneath and they still dont work. I am guessing that its going to be a realted issue. Thanks in advance,

Mark

Likely unrelated. Do the locks seem like they're trying to move? Or not at all? If they're trying but not really making it, could be a bad ground.

It seems like a lot of people here hardly ever see their secondary fan come on. It's supposed to come on with MAX AC and highest fan speed, otherwise when the engine temp is over 2xx *F... I can't remember what.

Yeah the temp got pretty hot, I know its 213 for primary and 235 for secondary. But still in all the secondary fan should come on with the A/C. I know that mine does. As far as the locks, we have inspected the rod in the doors and they are fine, just hear the contant clicking. Bad ground, where does that get grounded to??

Yeah the temp got pretty hot, I know its 213 for primary and 235 for secondary. But still in all the secondary fan should come on with the A/C. I know that mine does. As far as the locks, we have inspected the rod in the doors and they are fine, just hear the contant clicking. Bad ground, where does that get grounded to??

I can't remember, it might be different on your car anyway. I think it's somewhere around the seats, either near the b-pillar or somewhere under the driver's seat on the floor pan. I installled power locks/windows in my Cutlass when I got it.. that was a long time ago, but that lock thing was one of my problems. It could be a bad master (driver's) switch too, but since you hear the relay clicking, I'm not sure.

I know 100% sure that when I turn my A/C on my 94 on the secondary fan comes on, then when it hits the temp for the thermostat to open, the primary comes on.

I know 100% sure that when I turn my A/C on my 94 on the secondary fan comes on, then when it hits the temp for the thermostat to open, the primary comes on.

If the secondary fan isn't working it'd be a good idea to fix it, but they're really not necessary. My '88 Cutlass only had one fan and that car ran much cooler than my '93 does. My '88 was a 5-speed though so I'm sure that figures into the equation.

fan2 will come on at 226* F and shut off at 223*F

Fan1 212 F and off at 205F

personally i have mine at 185 on and 182 off for Fan1 and 190 on and off at 184 fan 2... but im runing a 180* stat.... the stock is a 195

lol looks like i am screwed if mine overheats, i removed my secondary fan 2 years ago when i removed my ac compressor lol. A bad master switch can still make the relay click but not work properly. start with the master switch

If the secondary fan isn't working it'd be a good idea to fix it, but they're really not necessary. My '88 Cutlass only had one fan and that car ran much cooler than my '93 does. My '88 was a 5-speed though so I'm sure that figures into the equation.

the only time you really need the secondary fan is when your stuck in a traffic jam, or waiting to park for a concert. my 92 Z34 5 speed was just fine driving on any road, but once you got stuck in traffic you had to turn your heat to full blast just too keep the temp at half, plus the clutch doesn't help either when your stopping and going, that heats up after a while, i had mine smoking lol (stopping and going on a mountain). Secondary can be a life saver at times.

Yeah the temp got pretty hot, I know its 213 for primary and 235 for secondary. But still in all the secondary fan should come on with the A/C. I know that mine does.

I know in my 92 Z34 and 93 GP drivers side fan came on either when my ac was on or the temp. got high. Once the temp got around 3/4, then the secondary fan came on.

I've never seen my secondary fan turn on after 6 years of owning my car.

3 years and I've never seen mine come on.

x3 :lol: mine did the same thing untill i got my retuned PCM. :thinking: