Got some questions....

jmoore4294

I need to replace the front sub-frame on my 95 Cutlass. What I need to know is which ones are interchangeable? Also, is it the same as the "engine cradle"? I'm looking on car-part.com and there are some less than 20 mi from me, also there is a pull-a-part 30 min away and they list engine cradle, but I'm not sure if it's the same. Thanks guys.

Subframe = engine cradle

Interchange: 477-3074B

B ----------

CUTLASS 91 Front; 6-207 (3.4L)

CUTLASS 92-96 Front

CUTLASS 97 Front; Supreme

GRAND PRIX 91 Front; 6-207 (3.4L)

GRAND PRIX 92-96 Front

LUMINA CAR 91 Front; 6-207 (3.4L)

LUMINA CAR 92-97 Front

LUMINA CAR 98-99 Front; w/o taxi 9C6

LUMINA CAR 00-01 Front

MONTE CARLO 95-99 Front

REGAL 91 Front; 6-191 (3.1L), from VIN 800001

REGAL 92-96 Front; 6-191 (3.1L)

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP!!

Went to a junkyard today, found some that are in good shape. No rust, seem to not be bent. 2 question: Does it HAVE to be from a car with the 3.4 and 4t60e tranny. Second, can anyone recommend a good coating for it? Like a rubberized coating or something.

Going back to pick one up on my day off next week. It's from a 1997 Cutlass Supreme. 4 door i believe. Not the 3.4. Not sure what engine it was gone. I know I sound like a broken record, I just wanna get it straight. It'll fit my 95 right? And the engine and tranny mounts will be in the right place? Also will the control arms from said 97 work with my 95? From my quick glance, they were in good shape. Thanks. Again sorry for the broken record. :mrgreen:

BUMP!!

Went to a junkyard today, found some that are in good shape. No rust, seem to not be bent. 2 question: Does it HAVE to be from a car with the 3.4 and 4t60e tranny. Second, can anyone recommend a good coating for it? Like a rubberized coating or something.

No, it doesn't have to be from a 3.4 car, but you do need to ensure that it has the provisions for the rear engine mount. They all started shipping with it in mid-1991.

Bought a "new" frame from the pull a part up the road. Cost me $60. And it's in good shape. No rust. All the bushings look good. Now all I gotta do is find someone to put it in, or ask some of my friends if they have an engine lift or something.

Nope. I pulled it from a 97 Cutlass supreme. Someone had already taken the engine and transmission. I just unbolted it from the car, took the rack off and me and a buddy carried it to the front. Came with control arms and the sway bar and the sub-frame bushings which are in very good condition.

Bought a "new" frame from the pull a part up the road. Cost me $60. And it's in good shape. No rust. All the bushings look good. Now all I gotta do is find someone to put it in, or ask some of my friends if they have an engine lift or something.

You're lucky you have friends. The local shop charged me $800 to pull my bent subframe and install a new one.

You're lucky you have friends. The local shop charged me $800 to pull my bent subframe and install a new one.

:twitch:

$800?!?!?!?! HOLY SHIT!!! How long did it take them? Anyone know what the book says for how many hours it should take? Think 3 people can accomplish it in a weekend?

:twitch:

$800?!?!?!?! HOLY SHIT!!! How long did it take them? Anyone know what the book says for how many hours it should take? Think 3 people can accomplish it in a weekend?

It might have been $600, but I know they wrote it down for 6 hours of work, saying they had to pull the engine out. It wasn't pretty. all I know is I paid $1100 to have the whole car repaired after I hit a curb at 15 mph at a 45 degree angle while understeering in heavy rain.

I hit a curb at 15 mph at a 45 degree angle while understeering in heavy rain.

You and me both man....that is EXACTLY, no joke how I bent mine.

I hit a curb at 15 mph at a 45 degree angle while understeering in heavy rain.

You and me both man....that is EXACTLY, no joke how I bent mine.

lol, yeah if you can do it yourself, definitely do it yourself, because a shop will charge you quite a bit to pull your engine and replace that subframe. And don't forget to check that lower control arm, because chances are that might also be bent.

I was lucky it didn't hit harder than that, because I could have pushed my axle into the differential and screwed that up too.

While you're at it, I'd also give it a good paint job.

I've already replaced the lower control arm. It was ABSOLUTELY CRUMPLED!! :willynilly: And are you talking about painting the sub-frame? I don't see why they have to pull the engine. You can just find a crossbeam support and drop the frame, or use an engine lift to support it. That's what I plan on doing.

That's what we did on that celebrity. Popped the ball joints, unbolted the mounts thn unbolted the subframe...There's a PS line too on the front on a Cutlass and the PS rack is bolted to the subframe...

Thanks man. Yeah, I noticed the power steering lines. I saw how the PS rack was bolted in too, so it should be a fairly easy job for 3 people to tackle. I see that mount on the right for the transmission in your picture, but can you point out where the other two go? Thanks. :high5: