Can't remove alternator on 3100 SFI

steve147

Hi everyone, I'm having a slight problem removing the alternator on my 96 Buick Century. I've never done this before and I don't really know anyone that could help me with this.

I'm assuming that this is the alternator bracket, but after I removed these 3 bolts (and the lighter colored one), it still doesn't move. Are there any bolts in the back I need to remove? (I have already taken the serpentine belt off).

Thanks guys.

img_0001.jpg

No its on the other side of the alternator.

Look in your pic, in the lower right corner the is a SMALL round bracket mounted to the back of the alt and the manifold.

Thanks for the quick reply! I removed all of black ones that are for the bracket and the one that is partially out in the picture.

The bolt for the round bracket has a small rubber hose in the way that is going into the manifold. I'm assuming that this would be a vacuum line. Can I just pull this off? It doesn't have a clamp or anything attached to it.

That's a '96 3100?? That doesn't look like a CS-130D. Usually the fans are inside the casing on the newer ones.

Maybe that's only on W's though.

I vote crowbar. :lol:

Also, 6300 posts!

Ok guys, I tried pulling off the (vacuum line?) but the rubber tore on one side of it. I looked further down and its hooked up the a purple wire, so it can't be a vacuum line?

Can you guys tell me what the circled part is?

damn.jpg

Ok, a little bit of checking online tells me that this is something to do with the oxygen sensor. If the rubber boot is cracked a little bit am I okay to wrap it up in electrical tape? I'm still not sure of the function of this rubber hose, to insulate the wire inside?

How does this come off? I need to remove it to get at one of the alternator brackets.

that looks to be a vacumn line. on the back of the plenum. to remove the bracket there is a nut on the block that can be loosened then take the bolt off of the back of the alternator. There will also be 2 power steering lines on a plastic bracket that moves out of the way easily also

My bad. I'm planning a purchase of a 00 Regal GS as soon as this semester of university is done. I guess I should go register for a A-body forum website. I'll be back once I get the Regal. ;)

Somebody here i am sure can help you. Just in the wrong section that is all.

Werd, you don't have to leave. This just needs to be put in the right section.

that is a vacuum line. There is a bolt that holds the power steering lines to the alternator. Unless you remove that bolt the alternator will be reluctant to move. Pretty sure it is 10 mm. As far as the black metal piece that attaches from the alternator to the top of the intake manifold, you do not have to remove that piece from the manifold. The bolt that you have loosened in the first picture attaches the alternator to that bracket if you will. There is likely a shim that holds the alternator in place. Once you remove the 2 13mm bolts that hold the alternator in place and the one nut that attaches the PS lines to the alternator, a rocking motion of the alternator should free the alternator from the shim.

BTW, W platform or not, it is the same 3100 SFI as we have in the W. Don't be dicks and help the guy out instead.