1994 Four Door Grand Prix

nemesis6

I am picking up a 1994 Grand Prix. I know it is a four door and I believe it is a GT model. I'm not sure because I have never seen it. I'm am taking it off my sister's hands because the transmission is out and she doesn't have a place to put it. At the time I agreed to take it, I was thinking about pulling the drive train out of my 97 coupe because the body is starting to rust and putting it in the 94' but now I'm thinking about fixing the 94' for a DD and pulling the 97' off the road for some much needed work. My question is, do you know how much it would cost to replace the transmission? The guy i normally use to work on my 97' wants about $1500 or so to do the job and that sound high to me. The rest of the body is in great shape, no rust clean interior so I would like to fix it if possible I just don't want to pay $1500 to do it.

I say do it yourself.

But I am just that type of guy, I hate paying people to work on my vehicles.

I guess you should find out what is exactly wrong with the trans.

Maybe it doesn't need to be replaced, it could be a vacuum modulator or something similar.

$1500 does sound high.

You could get the price lowered if you went with a used trans.

Shop around my guess would be about $800-$1200 including labor.

I don't know how pricing is by you, but around here, the snobbish premium shops might charge $1,500 - $2,000. The good work without a raping shops would charge $1,000 - $1,500, and you might be able to find a smaller shop more than capable of doing the job for around $800 or so. Or as was mentioned, you could look for a low mileage junkyard trans.

BTW, if that 4-door is indeed a GT, it would be a rare model. The only 4-door that got the hood vents (smaller '94 - '96 version) other than the turbo STE, which got the older style larger vents. Plus they were usually pretty loaded. Definitely worth saving.

BTW, if that 4-door is indeed a GT, it would be a rare model. The only 4-door that got the hood vents (smaller '94 - '96 version) other than the turbo STE, which got the older style larger vents. Plus they were usually pretty loaded. Definitely worth saving.

If it turns out to be a GT is there any intrest in it on this forum as far as someone wanting to buy it?

location, price?

And I had my tranny replaced for $600 and some change (I think like $620 or something). $300 for a JY tranny, just over $300 for the work. Now, I could do it myself with some spare hands, but hopefully I wont ever need to again.