Where to find Delco stereo info?

bluegp

Does anybody know of any GM/Delco car stereo websites or forums (or even a book)? I'm trying to find one that has technical info such as what radio models came in what cars (with photos of the radios & RPO codes), what radio models are compatible with different add-ons (CD changers, slave CD deck, steering wheel controls, etc.), what CD changers were available, what are the power ratings of the different models, etc., etc., .....

I've always preferred the look of a factory radio (buttons & displays match rest of dash, flush mounting). I've seen a few Delco CD changers go for cheap on eBay, but was afraid to waste money on something that wasn't compatible. I'd also like to know more about the latest stereos in the new cars (like can they be used in an older car).

I know, a website like this probably doesn't exist -- just thought I'd take a chance asking.

im also very curious about this. my neighbour had an identical 1991 4dr Regal Limited. Everything was the same except they had a CD player and i had a tape deck. I would really like to know if these are interchangable or not.

peace

when I went to a junkyard a while back he gave me a printout of what radios would fit in my car, maybe check some yards near you.

Radios from pretty much any 1990-1993 are interchangeable. Radios from 88-89 are modular and can be put in 90-93 cars, but I think you would need the radio bezel..and maybe even the connectors. Also, GM used the same Delco radios across most of it's fleet. I've seen the same tape/cd decks that our cars use in Camaros, Firebrds, Mini Vans, Grand Ams, etc. If you look through some of the old dealer literature, you will see them in a lot of places.

I've also found that this place knows a lot about Delco radios: http://www.corvetteradios.com/

I'd also like to know more about the latest stereos in the new cars (like can they be used in an older car).

As for the new models, has anyone heard of one being installed in an older car? (I am aware that the newer ones are double DIN while the older are 1.5 DIN) The newer ones have something called "data-bus". I am assuming this has to do with the OnStar system and the key fob programming features. If that's the case, can it just be left unconnected? Will the radio show some type of error? The RDS features would still work, I am assuming, witch would be pretty cool. (displays radio station call letters, song name, traffic & weather info if broadcasted)

Hey Panopticon, if you have the plain stereo/cass with treble and bass buttons on the head unit the CD is a direct swap with the cassette.

I can't because I put an Equalizer/cass in mine which required the swap of all three parts. My head unit doesn't have trebble/bass. It has Loudness and DNR. I suppose that means Dynamic Noise Reduction or something.

I sold my old one so I'm in CD adapter hell for good.

Radios from pretty much any 1990-1993 are interchangeable.

(snip)

Beware if you have a Lumina with the dash illumination delay feature (or whatever it's called).

The radios for Luminas with this "feature" are exclusive to the Lumina. In other words, Luminas with the delay take a Lumina-specific radio or CD player; I learned this the hard way.

I don't know if delay specific radios are backward compatible with cars that don't have this feature.