X-lace question..general maintenance.

EviLette

I've noticed since I polished out the lips on my x-laces that I've had almost constant problems with brake dust pitting them, sticking to them. I had go back over the wheels again (quickly) mind you to get the remainder of brake dust off. Is this just due to cheap brakes, or other than wiping them down and polishing them with mothers once a week, is there something I need to know? (caring for them in the winter is a B!TCH)

Also, with the wheels finalized.. should I clearcoat the ENTIRE wheel? Up to and including the lip of course.. or will that hinder me in keeping them glowing like chrome?

the clearcoat powdercoat knocked my shine down....but I don't care....all I have to do to clean the wheel is use a wet and dry towel....It is soooo easy.

I used to have a bare lip, and HATED polishing it every time I pulled the car out.

and you can't use off the shelf clear on bare aluminum....it will turn yellow and flake off fast....you have to buy clear and hardener and use a gun to spray it on....was gonna be like $80 for me to do it...I said screw it and got them PC'd.

I just wiped down the lip here...the black still has brake dust on it

000_0024.jpg

Just some random close ups....

000_0019.jpg

100_2155.jpg

100_2148.jpg

100_2148.jpg

6-8-07_040.jpg

It has a good effect, but the reflection of the black x-laces on the alumnim (glossed to chromeish wonder) makes me :drool:

I guess I'll just keep cleaning them.

Oh well, one more thing to do on my weekly wash/wax/molestation of my car. :lol:

I clear coated mine with some dupli color clear coat in a can. Took just a little bit of the shine away, but not really too bad. And it's been over 2 years now, still holding on well as far as I can tell at the moment. I'll know for sure in a month or so, when I give it a good old detailing/waxing and all. :willynilly:

P1000778.jpg

P1000772.jpg

P1000769.jpg

Now that I'm looking at those pictures, they don't appear to be that shiny anymore, but it has been like 8 months since their last cleaning that was more detailed then hosing them down. :lol:

The one on the left is just polished, and the one on the right was clear coated.

how did you get tgp wheels?

those look kind of good on a cut.

They came off a '94 GTP if I remember the year right. It was white with brown/tan leather, LQ1, Getrag 284, HUD, DIC, all the goodies, it was damn sexy. Unforutanetly it looked like it got rear ended by a semi. :lol:

For what it's worth, TGP and GTP crosslaces are exactly the same...

>.<

Just wish I could actually pull mine OFF the car to work on them. I just really dont have any place to work on the project now... and I dont want to shell out the 50/mo to rent a garage, and there aren't any even close to me.. the closest one to me is three pods of buildings away

God I cant stand gold xlaces...or nearly gold anything on a car. However I appreaciate the shape that those are in and the effort put into making and keeping them that way.

the clearcoat powdercoat knocked my shine down....but I don't care....all I have to do to clean the wheel is use a wet and dry towel....It is soooo easy.

6-8-07_040.jpg

And aweb I think you have the sexiest W car/wheel/color combo possible. The white with (HOT) black xlaces almost makes me want to fly into there and fuck the spokes. I'm sorry but that statement was necessary.

keep x-laces clean is a bitch to say the least....I don't think that there is anything that you can really do except keep cleaning them.

This is the key reason why I don't like them. Nightmare. Rumours say that Meguiars was instrumental in their design. :lol:

all i cleaned mine with is metal polish for the lip, and wheel acid(really deluded) and a wheel brush, and they came pretty damn clean. I prefer them over the 5 spokes, just for the fact that i tried to sand the whole rim found out that the rim was pitted for the paint, and i'm still not done sanding. And also there's 2 different type of cross laces width wise. mine are 8, which was only mad to 93 others are 6 or 6.5 something like that

P3260690.jpg

P3260689.jpg

i've got blue eye :willynilly:

all i cleaned mine with is metal polish for the lip, and wheel acid(really deluded) and a wheel brush, and they came pretty damn clean. I prefer them over the 5 spokes, just for the fact that i tried to sand the whole rim found out that the rim was pitted for the paint, and i'm still not done sanding. And also there's 2 different type of cross laces width wise. mine are 8, which was only mad to 93 others are 6 or 6.5 something like that

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/drummer_6959/P3260690.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/drummer_6959/P3260689.jpg

i've got blue eye :willynilly:

W-body crosslaces are 8" wide, the ones on Bonnevilles were 6.5" or something like that. The 2nd generation GP crosslaces looked different than the ones we are talking about, and those were not as wide as the 1st gen ones...