How to: Add a DIC in a 1994-1996 Grand Prix if it did not come pre wired

Addicted to eaton

Alright I'm doing this off of memory so Ask questions if your not sure. I'm going to explain to the average noob how to Add a DIC in a 1994-1996 Grand Prix if it did not come pre wired.

First off your going to need

- Electrical tape.

- Wire stripers

- A wire harness for the DIC (you can find these in the F/S section)

- Lots of hair to pull , a toupee is suitable

- Some extra 18 gage wire (or any wire around the same size)

- T-taps (can find these at your local hardware store, I got mine at wal-mart)

- Pliers

Ok so lets get started.

1. First off, grab a 7 mm socket, some extensions, a u-joint, some small torx bits, and a screwdriver.

First, block your wheels off and put the car into "1." This will make it easier to remove the console.

Now pull the staple out of the shift knob and pull the knob up and off. The whole console will now be able to lift up and towards the back of the car, clearing the shift lever. There are no screws holding it down, but you will have to reach underneath an disconnect the ashtray and gear indicator lights.

With the console out of the way, it's now easier to get at the two 7 mm screws that are under the radio bezel and far towards the firewall. These are the hardest screws to get at of all of them. You'll need your u-joint and some extensions. Take 'em out, and the radio bezel will pop right off.

To the left of the radio there is a silver 7 mm screw you'll have to remove before you can pop off the gauge bezel. One it's gone, the whole thing pulls right off. Keep an eye on the top part to keep the tabs from snagging the dash pad. The central vents will probably fall off at this point, as the bezel holds them in. You'll have to tilt the steering wheel all the way down to pull the bezel out, too.

Now there will be about a half-dozen silver screws surrounding the instrument panel. Figure out which torx bit it takes and start removing them. The clear plastic cover will come off first. If the black plastic piece surrounding the panel doesn't come out as well, you must've forgotten about the two screws at the bottom of the panel recessed underneath it. They're the same size. Take those out, too.

The panel should be loose now. Tilt the top forward and lift the bottom up to clear two small tabs that hold the bottom in place. Now, don't try pulling it clear out because you haven't unplugged the pigtail yet. Tilt the right side towards you and look behind the lower corner to see it. The side of the pigtail closest to you is blue, and the back is grey, but don't try squeezing the tabs on them and pulling on them, because they don't come out. Just pull on the whole thing and it'll unplug from a little black piece (this sounds kind of confusing, but just trust me and pull). Maneuver the panel out Unplug it and set it out of your way.

2. Find your Harness I said you needed and take Both black wire’s (grounds) and brown and orange.

A1 ORN hot

A2 BRN switched hot

A3 Don’t touch yet

A4 --- not used

A5 Don’t touch yet

A6 Don’t touch yet

A7 Don’t touch yet

A8 BLK ground (splices into cluster D16)

B1 --- not used

B2 --- not used

B3 Don’t touch yet

B4 Don’t touch yet

B5 Don’t touch yet

B6 Don’t touch yet

B7 Don’t touch yet

B8 BLK ground

TIP: As you run these wires Make sure you run them under or behind the dash so it Looks stock.

A. Now run your orange wire to your radio. It shuld also have an orange wire in its pig tale that’s Hot. This will allow your DIC to keep the data stored in it. (as your radio keeps the time) Use a T-Tap and tap in to the orange.

B. Now take your Brown wire (switched hot) And run it to your Fuse box And twist it around one of the prongs on your radio fuse. And put the fuse back in. If you have did it wrong you will here an annoying dinging. Now the Brown Turns your DIC on anytime the car would turn on the radio.

C. Now take the two Black wires and twist them together to make one. And run a wire to the back of the radio’s ground. It should also be a black wire. And tap it in. Now make sure were you made the 2 wires into one that no wire is showing (use your electrical tape to do this)

If you have did all of this correct the DIC Should now Power on once you plug it in and start your car (might want to check it now) If it didn’t make sure you Did all of the above correctly. Now that it works unplug it and continue

2. Go to your Harness and now separate your gray with a black stripe, Brown with a white stripe, and plain old gray

A1 Done

A2 Done

A3 GRY/BLK park lamp "on" feed

A4 --- not used

A5 BRN/WHT VF dimming signal

A6 Don't Touch Yet.

A7 Don't Touch Yet.

A8 done

B1 --- not used

B2 --- not used

B3 GRY dimming backlighting

B4 Don't Touch Yet.

B5 Don't Touch Yet.

B6 Don't Touch Yet.

B7 Don't Touch Yet.

B8 done

A. Now take out your Light switch and unplug it. Now take your gray and splice it into the headlight switch on Pin H witch is gray. Now take your brown with a white stripe and splice into G witch is Brown with a white stripe. Now take your Gray with a black stripe and splice it into your head light switch I witch is gray with a black stripe

3. Now take your dark green, And purple.

Pin# Wire color Purpose(connection/source)

A1 Done

A2 Done

A3 Done

A4 --- not used

A5 Done

A6 DK GRN VSS (splices into VSS cluster feed C13)

A7 Don’t Touch yet

A8 Done

B1 --- not used

B2 --- not used

B3 Done

B4 Don’t Touch yet

B5 Don’t Touch yet

B6 PPL fuel (splices into cluster C14)

B7 Don’t Touch yet

B8 Done

A. Run them over to the Cluster Pigtail Tap the dark Green into the C-13 witch is dark green also. Now on c-14 there is a purple right beside it. Take your Purple and tap into the C-14 (that’s purple) right beside your Last wire taped

4. Now take your tan and run it Under the stearing wheel closer to the middle console on down to the end of the plastic.. and u will find a black plug, maybe 2 inch's wide by like an inch tall there should be a tanish color or brown color wire.. Tap into it and ur good to go.

You should now have the following left:

B4 LT GRN/BLK air temp sensor + N/A

B5 LT BLU E/M switch output

B7 YEL air temp sensor N/A

B4 Is for the tempature we don’t have

b5 is for the HUD..

b7 Is for the Tempature to.

This was brought to you By Anthony.

How to take the dash apart by : FasTBird232, Pin outs by CRAZYK

Did this for people like me that had no idea and took along time to understand it all.. But i thought i could post in the How 2 section lol! im dumb

gen 1 89-93? Is obd 1 ..gen 1 (94-96) is Obd 1.5 gen 2 are obd 2 But since you have a 1996 With an l67 i

Gen2 = 97-03 GP, Gen 1 = 89-96 GP ....at least that is the way I read his post

Yeah. I did not mean to hit POST lol!. I knew 96 DIC will not work in 1994's or 1995's Just didnt know if it was OBD 2 or not Here is the answer i was going to post. lol.

Generation 1 89-93? Is OBD 1, generation 1 (94,95) is OBD 1.5, generation 1 (96) is OBD2. Generation 2 is OBD 2.

Probably, well i know our HUD pigtails work in the 97-03's But we have to change pins around. Question.. Did you Grand prix come with a DIC wired up?

Yes, it did not have HUD or DIC when I baught it. But I heard that they all are supposedly pre-wired for it, so I went on ebay and eventually found a HUD setup and DIC. And whaddaya know plug n play, everything was there. The harnesses were kinda buried deep in the dash tho. Are you sure you looked hard enough for them?

Edit: I should also add outside temp sensor and wiring was NOT pre-wired on non-dic cars. I Found a sensor in a jy and just used speaker wire to run it to the correct place on the pigtail.

So i thought id help you out and buy a 1997 DIC out of a GTP.. looks easy i have the wireing diagram and such. If anything we can get it to power on turn on and Use the TSC buton as our 2ed gear start lol!.. and Do A-JAR stuff.. and leave the other dic in to tell us all the stuff we need to know lol! Anyways can you tell me if out pigtails fit.. if so im good to go.. ill still need a pigtail as i dont want to get rid of my usefull dic lol

huddick.jpg