Hesitation when cold

hoodilio

When my engine is cold it has a tendency to hesitate. Like in the morning i hop in the car to go to work so i step on the gas and the car goes "VROOM" "VROOM" "VROOM" and all i did was step on the gas nice and smoothly, and inbetween each "VROOM" it kinda jerks back and forth and not accelerate very smoothly. It doesn't start going smoothly until its either out of first gear or when the engine has warmed up.

I think its the nature of the beast. Mine sorta does the same thing, and it always has for the 3 years I have owned it. I just let it idle for like2-3 minutes then be easy on it until temp gets up and it fine.

Robby

I refer you to this thread:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5943

Basically, your engine is running poorly when the ECM is in a pre-programmed Air/Fuel management system called "OPEN LOOP". After a few minutes, and the engine is warmed-up, the ECM enters into "CLOSED LOOP", and the computer starts getting Air/Fuel feedback from the Oxygen Sensor. With this feedback from the O2, it can COMPENSATE for the poor Air/Fuel ratio, being, either too LEAN or too RICH. Probably too LEAN. If the ECM sees this, it will UP the amount of fuel being supplied by the injectors, called the "Injector Pulse Width", and when that happens, you'll no longer notice ANY problems.

You always have to start with basics though:

1) Igntion - wires, plugs, coils, module

2) Fuel Pressure

etc...

Also, check that your EGR valve is not leaking or stuck open slightly...just push UP on the diaphragm and you're engine SHOULD "stumble"...

NO! Not at all! I use 91 Octane and have been for over 3 years! The Octane rating of the gas you are using has absolutely NOTHING to do with the problems you're having...

• 3 weeks later...