What to look for...

TheEdgeofSanity

well, as i've said before, i'm pretty much going to buy a '93 cutty supreme 2 door. I know its a v6 but unsure if its the 3.4 or 3.1. Anyway, what I am asking from all of you is what to look for as warning signs of issues down the road. What are things that I should look at or know will need replacement on these cars? It has a starting issue where the starter won't turn over at random times and the starters been replaced numerous times so I have no idea what it could be. Other than that, are they pretty reliable? i'm a kid on a very big budget and i need something thats not going to nickel and dime me constantly. thanks for all the input, its greatly appreciated. :burnout:

It has a starting issue where the starter won't turn over at random times and the starters been replaced numerous times so I have no idea what it could be.

Could be something with the VATS system.. Maybe a loose connection in the switch or a key wearing out or something..

For a test drive? Or just looking at the car in the parking lot?

Make sure all the body panels fit right. Make sure the trim lines line up straight, and that the panel gaps are even. Check out the weatherstripping and look for wavy or cracked paint (bondo underneath). Cutlasses rust where the quarter panel meets the bumper right behind the rear wheel.

On the road, make sure the car tracks straight. Take your hands off the steering wheel and the car should still track straight. Hit the brakes and the car shouldn't pull to one side. The brake pedal will probably vibrate, these cars warp rotors often.

Accelerate hard. A 3.1 will pull alright from a stop but will die after 4500 rpm. A 3.4 will pull harder throughout the entire rpm's. Try to feel for soft, slow, or hard shifts.

Use common sense. If it looks or feels like shit, it is shit.

i also wanted to add that it was purchased new by my grandma and then she gave it to my uncle in 2004. I know its never been in any accidents and it does have some mild rust but that doesn't bother me.

Are the electronic climate contols reliable? what about the engines? any specific noises to listen for that could mean trouble?

Electronic Climate Control sometimes just suddenly stop working. Probably poor solder joints. It's just luck of the draw. Some work fine for 20 years and others are very finicky. Sometimes mine turns on and off on it's own. It's never totally failed to work though.

I don't have a ton of experience with the 3.4, so I can't give you a lot of specifics on that engine. But, I can tell you the 3.1 is a very loud engine, even when properly running and equipped with a good exhaust system. The fuel injectors are very loud on these engines, so don't mistake cycling fuel injectors for loud lifters.

Just pay attention. Make sure the car doesn't have an excessively loud drivetrain, and that it doesn't make any knocking or thudding noises. Don't confuse accessory noises for engine noises. Our power steering pumps groan, and our alternators squeal. Neither of these noises are from the engine itself.

i also agree that the fuel injectors are quite noisy, but the 3.1 is very reliable. overall i recommend these cars. just watch out for rit on the underside, especially at the trailing arm mounts

Xeleventy billion on the 3.1s being great engines! Check for rust underneath the car, if your in a state that dumps salt on the roads in the winter. Expect to need to replace the brakes unless they have been recently done and struts if they are original.

ok, yes, its a michigan car and has some rust so I am assuming the underbody is a mess. How expensive do breaks and struts cost to replace on these cars? I think the one i'm looking at has 4 wheel disk brakes.

Also, I've been told that the vehicle leaks oil pretty badly. which seal would this most likely be and how hard is it to replace. i'm assuming that its a 3.1 because nobody seems to know and I don't have time to drive an hour to see for myself. Did cutlass supremes with the 3.1 come with factory dual exhaust?

It's probably the oil pump o-ring. There's a write-up on this in the FAQ.

Some 3.1 Cutlasses came equipped with dual exhaust. Most didn't though.

Ugh, Michigan isnt much better then here in NY. I personally wont buy another car from NY or any other state that dumps salt all winter unless the car hasnt seen any or very many winters. Ive just had to many bad experiences. If the gas tank and gas and brake lines havent been replaced im sure they will have to be before long.

All w-bodys are 4 wheel disc. Its a shitty system especially on your year. The parts are pretty cheap though.

All w-bodys are 4 wheel disc. Its a shitty system especially on your year. The parts are pretty cheap though.

Not all. Gen 1.5 Luminas and Monte Carlos had rear drums.

His Cutlass has rear disk brakes though.

If it does have the 3.4 DOHC i personally would pass on the car. Especially in your case, you're looking for something reliable and cheap to maintain/easy to work on. The 3.4 is really none of those things unfortunately.

Not all. Gen 1.5 Luminas and Monte Carlos had rear drums.

His Cutlass has rear disk brakes though.

Correct you are sir! Forgot about those.

Yeah, the 3.4 DOHC requires a lot of maintanence to be reliable, and that doesn't always fix it. Cold starts on either engine can produce a lot of piston slap. Don't be scared by that, either.

Cutty coupes could have dual exhaust with the 3.1. All 3.4 DOHC cars had the dual exhaust, regardless of body style.

this may be a dumb question but is it a true dual exhaust? and if so, pared with the 3.1 will it be more powerful?

i mean, i really am crossing my fingers that its a 3.1 and also I'm trying to convince my dad its a good idea because he says that my alero is fine.

Honestly, I'd keep the Alero.

N-bodies aren't great cars my any means, but your Alero is significantly newer and *should* have less problems for a long time. W-bodies will run forever, but a w-body that old will become a constant money pit.