Canadian cluster programming...

hotrodolds

I have heard that it is possible to use a Canadian cluster and reprogram the PCM to recognize that, and voila, you have a 180-200mph speedometer. In my case, I end up with a 180mph unit. The question I have is, HOW (via the DHP PT) would you set this up, and equally as important, would the odometer read the mileage equivalent?

Thanks.

I was thinking about the odometer reading, and in theory, it should end up reading in miles, no? Since the needle is "lower" on the guage, the odometer wouldn't read as fast, and consequently, it would turn over its numbers slower, too.

The real question...what parameters get changed in the PCM to make this work?

I don't think anything is changed, it would be most likely a plug and play install. the needle *should* move at the same rate MPH or KMH alike look at your existing cluster and the small KM numbers go to 180KMH or whatever. the odometer is probably a different sized gear to make the KMS go faster then Miles.

Now in theory, if you did the math to figure out at what increase KMS are Versus miles, you could find a resistor that is close to that to cut your VSS signal to the cluster down so the needle would move slower on a metric cluster and produce the KMS to read MPH.

what??? what year and car?

all the mph clusters I can think of in CS's already go to 115 mph... and have cutoffs between 109 and 119.

are you planning on going faster? Or do you intend to make your car look like a 1965 chysler Newport with it's 200mph speedo and a top out speed of like 85 mph?????

Yes, the MPH clusters in Cutty's go to 115. This is in my '97. The car will do 150mph now. It would just be nice to have a speedo that could read to that, instead of wrapping around down to the middle of the odometer.

Lemme see if I can dig up the 147mph scan...then again, you probably have NO clue what the car is...do you?

Now, back on topic.

well seeing that this is in the w-body section I am going to assume it is a '97 w-body of some kind, and you mentioned a cutty's cluster goes to 115....so with those two pieces of info, I gathered this is a '97 cutty which should be a 3100 unless swapped which is why I posted the pic I did...I'd still like to see and in car video with GPS showing actual speed to show 150 :)

A lightly modded L67 will go 150. I know this because I did it a couple times. :smile: And thanks to my HUD I was able to see for sure after the speedo stopped.

It's a L67 powered car, with mild mods.

that makes a big difference from the 3100 :lol:

Yes, yes it does. I barely got a 3100 powered Lumina to 120!

Yeah, I'm content in the 135-140 range. It gets a little dicey above 140. I want STB's, and a bigger rear swaybar, then, we'll see if it gets better.

So...is the general consensus on this, that I could just pop this thing in, and call it good?

Aside from the fact that there's little good reason to ever take any W-body up over 100 MPH, putting a metric speedometer in the car will do nothing but just that.. add a metric speedometer. You would need to somehow modify how many PPM that the VSS is sending to the PCM.

Yeah, I'm content in the 135-140 range. It gets a little dicey above 140. I want STB's, and a bigger rear swaybar, then, we'll see if it gets better.

So...is the general consensus on this, that I could just pop this thing in, and call it good?

your best bet would be to install a HUD

I want one so bad. This interior never came with one, so that makes it really tough, because I'm NOT good with fiberglass, bondo, or anything of the sort.