Need Help ASAP!!

cutty

Well I need helping on trying to get my cutlass working. With the ignition key in the ignition i cannot turn the key forward to start it or backwards. Yes the car is in Park, but i can move the gear selector through every gear with out the key in the ignition or with my foot on the brake. The key CAN be removed from the ignition.

I am not sure if the tumbler can be removed or what else can be removed so i can see whats going on inside there. So i need the cutlass early tomorrow morning so i can goto work. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Put the key in the ignition, turn it gently while shaking the wheel left and right... Sounds like the steering wheel is locked under a lot of tensions... Typical older GM..

Put the key in the ignition, turn it gently while shaking the wheel left and right... Sounds like the steering wheel is locked under a lot of tensions... Typical older GM..

Forgot to add that the steering wheel is free, and not locked, and the car will start with my remote start.

Is the lock frozen? Try some lock dethaw/lube stuff before you tear into the column.

My ign froze a while back and I couldn't turn the key at all. The key won't turn unless the pins line up correctly.

well the fact that you say you can move the gear selector tells me it may be a bad ignition

Thats what i was thinking, but wasnt sure how to get to it through the column

was it acting up going into acc before or was everything sudden. Does it move in a manner that an improper key was inserted. how many keys have you tried? But from what you have stated it sounds like a faulty ignition switch

was it acting up going into acc before or was everything sudden. Does it move in a manner that an improper key was inserted. how many keys have you tried? But from what you have stated it sounds like a faulty ignition switch

It just happened today for the first time, i have only tried one key, its feels like the ignition tumbler is welded in the position its at now.

http://www.tgpforums.com/index.php?topic=3379.0

thanks to Brian (pontiac6ksteawd ) for this original write up which i added to and edited. :icon_cool:

1. Pull steering wheel controls off (if you have them), unplug them and set aside, unplug horn plug, remove retainer ring and nut, remove steering wheel, carefully remove plastic inner ring.

2. Remove turn signal assembly, tilt the steering wheel all the way down for easy access, in the bottom right you will see a ring with a square hole in it, take a screwdriver that the tips fits in the hole, the the rest of the blade doesn't, push in and turn and slowly pull out.

3. There is a spring behind this ring (with square hole) for the tilt steering, in the bottom right you will see a Wire Plug and under that a screw, mine was a torx, others have mentioned a other type of screw, remove screw

4. Pull that plug out 3/4 of a inch with a flathead screwdriver to access that torx screw that holds the lock Assembly in.

5. Carefully pull out ignition key set assembly but don't take out, there will be a small 2 wire plug that has to be unplugged for the little "hey idiot, you left your keys in the ignition" dinger. (see step #4 above)

6. Once unplugged, remove lock and slide in new unit. You might have to play with the new unit to get it to take the screw that holds it in. I never managed to get mine to take all the threads, but its down as far as I could go.

7. Test unit, checking for key dinger, turn back (acc), key forward ignition off, key forward ignition on, key forward start car, return to key forward ignition off, and then key out and off, steering wheel lock (will have to gently put steering wheel on for this).

8. Once all actions are confirmed then you can take the steering wheel back off, and start reassembling everything, but in the reverse order.

Part # for the Lock Assembly for 5-speed (with the little key release button on it) and 2 OEM GM black plastic grip pre-cut Keys is:

AC delco # 26009028

$48 CDN at the dealer

100_0431.jpg

Thats the little plug for the HEY IDIOT, YOU LEFT YOU KEYS IN THE IGNITION dinger. On my TGP I used a flat head screwdriver. But on my neighbors lumina, that wouldnt work. I had to take needle nose plyers, and grab it and pull it out, straight up towards you if you are looking at it. I had to put it back in the same way.

i knew that was floating around here somewhere :mrgreen: I hate that stupid dinger but i love that i can pull the key just enough to shut it up. lol some cars do it all the time the key is in the ignition